Intermittent kitchen hot water help. PLUMBERS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi please can someone advise....
I currently have the floor up in the bathroom due to a new suite. I have teed off the hot and cold feeds to supply a new floating sink and wall fixed shower mixer. The hot and cold tees then run from the bathroom down the wall into the kitchen. Since doing this the kitchen tap hot water...old mixer tap is only getting hot water intermittently (good pressure, just no hot water. I have checked the boiler when the tap is on and its not firing up when called for downstairs. The newly plumbed hot water feed is working upstairs and boiler calls so i think that rules out mispiping and a boiler fault. I have checked all pipes back and they are correct. Please any one advise on this highly annoying issue.

Sponsored Links
Hi Adam,

What make/model of boiler? You have checked pipes back, assuming this is to check they’re not crossed? Is the bathroom tap a mixer, or not fitted yet? Do you have any dead legs in the system?

His its a viessman.... all boiler operation is fine heating and the new bathroom sink hot feed hence me thinking its not the boiler...the sink is not tapped yet just two isos...ive opened the hot iso and its hot. New bath hot and cold just have push stop ends. Downstairs tap sometimes gets hot water...

Has pipe run to kitchen been renewed, or in any way altered ?
What flow rate do you get from kitchen hot tap ( how many litres of water does it give in 1 minute of flowing ) ?

Sponsored Links
No pipework hasnt been renewed ive just added a t piece for the bath hot feed ill try add a pic. The flow rate is good with no restriction. Runs as it did before just intermittent hot.

20220220_193045.jpg

Lower T is the hot tee that comes from the working sink down the wall to the kitchen tap and then to the bath if that makes sense.

I assume boiler is a combi ??
If it doesn't fire up when kitchen tap is running ,then the tap isn't giving sufficient flow to trigger the boiler ,or there is an issue with the boiler.

Yeah boiler is combi, flow to the tap is good. Could it be the tap is knackered?? Cant see it been a boiler issue as the hot feed it working in the bathroom?? But hey im not a plumber lol

As asked earlier ,how many litres per min does kitchen tap deliver ? Saying it's good tells us nowt !!

After some advice ive isolated the tap and now the hot water is fine....so seems a faulty tap is to blame which just has times with the replumbing causing the confusion.
Thanks for your help terry.....
Question for you. Thoughts on copper push fit to plastic pipe as shown below... ive used an insert..... access is horrible (no depth for plastic push fit) hence the copper push fit. Will it be ok?
20220220_192257.jpg

What make/ brand is that copper coupler ?? Some ,tectite 316 for instance ,are not designed for plastic pipes ,only copper pipe.
Can you clean up the right hand pipe with some wire wool ,it looks badly pitted in your pic ( pics can be deceiving though), and may be wise to replace it to save potential issues with leaking later on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back