Internal 45 degree angles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
Apologies if this has been done to death but I did do a search and cant find anything on this.

Will be tiling a ensuite very soon and the customer wants brick bond pattern for the tiles. That's the easy bit :sneaky:

If you can imagine looking at a rectangle from above but with one of the corners cut off ?
This is the shape of the room but I Have done a diagram and attached it.

I think I know the solution to this but I am asking the experts for help here:)

My problem is that when the brickwork pattern gets to the 45 angle the tile has to be cut and then both halves fixed so as to maintain the pattern but I'm thinking I will be left with a gap unless I get the two halves butted up tight. Don't think having a grout line will work between the two halves as it will mess up the brickwork pattern with the tiles above and below so ....
only solution I can think of is to mitre the tile halves at 45 degrees and butt them tight together then carry on tiling as normal with no silicone or grout used ??

En suite 2.jpg

By the way. These cuts will not be inside the shower or anywhere near the basin.

Any help much appreciated and a thank you in advance for any assistance :)

Sponsored Links
Well I am no expert, but you don't have to miter the edges as the corner is internal, that means as long as your cuts are straight, and fitted tightly, you will only ever see a thin joint line that you don't need to fill in with grout as long as you can butt them together, you will be wasting time if you were mitering them. The trick is to cut the tile really smooth in a straight line and the full tile cut in half should butt tightly against its other half. So you would have alternative tiles (above and below) with a grout and maintain a brick pattern.

corner tiles butted.png

Thanks for the reply, good diagram :) Looks like a goer so I'll crack on with that idea(y)

And "cracking on with that idea" will bring you to grief.

The easiest way for a DIY'er such as yourself would be to let the left hand tile in the diagram run through, & mitre the tile running up to meet it.
Leave a gap the width of your field grout lines.
Dont grout the inside corner, use matching colour silicone.

I only hope that your walls are flat and plumb, and meet at a perfect angle - whatever the angle is?

Sponsored Links
And "cracking on with that idea" will bring you to grief.

The easiest way for a DIY'er such as yourself would be to let the left hand tile in the diagram run through, & mitre the tile running up to meet it.
Leave a gap the width of your field grout lines.
Dont grout the inside corner, use matching colour silicone.

I only hope that your walls are flat and plumb, and meet at a perfect angle - whatever the angle is?

its a cracking idea no doubt, but problem is if his mitered tile did not sit tight against the left tile, and was slightly proud, you have a knife sharp edge and could slice a few thou off your finger. And the complexity of cutting or mitering a tile at the required angle in itself would give you enough headache. All ideas have drawback. Sharp angle created by miter is more likely to crack or chip away.

Last edited:
If these are chamfered tiles -commonly used in brickwork patterns- then even Mike's suggestion won't work where the chamfer is. You would have to cope them with a tile file!
7123001001-02.jpg

Yes very true Garry, and that would be a real bugger to get it perfect! each case merits a different solution. Well thought though. But I take it he is using flat tiles.

You dont set tile tight against another tile at an inside corner - a gap or grout line should be left between tile joins.
Mitring tiles is a basic technique in tile setting, there's no "complexity to give you a headache".
And, unless you dont know what you are doing, mitres dont "crack or chip".

The best bet for any DIY'er is to hire a tile saw to cut and mitre all his worked tiles.
The OP might have over a 100 tiles to cut or mitre even in a domestic bathroom.
All sharp edges, mitred or nibbled, are eased with a stone or a file.

We dont know what tile the OP is proposing to use.

You dont set tile tight against another tile at an inside corner - a gap or grout line should be left between tile joins.
The whole idea was to pretend that alternate tiles in the corner were 135deg bent (Internal angle) without seeing any sort of grout line, just about what you might see is a hairline tight joint, so if you are suggesting setting tiles with a tiny grout line, it defeats the object, if what OP's customer wanted him to achieve as a invisible bend joint at alternative tile to maintain brickwork pattern, then that is what he will have to do, if he can't do that then he may not fully satisfy his customer's expectations.

At best he may have to fill a very thin grout line that when compared to other tiles above and below would seem like it has no grout as the other two tiles may have a wider width grout lines comparatively.

Last edited:
in life I found rather too late, shame really, such details if you are conscious of it, it stops you getting anywhere in your life, but only it is in your conscious, any visitors to your house, they may give it a quick look an say what a beautiful skilled job, most won't even raise an eyebrow, so problem isn't the workmanship, problem is your conscious, that doesn't let you sleep and you keep looking at minor faults trying to work out a solution to make them perfect, whilst you are working on best solution to solve a problem., suddenly you find your mates have moved on leaVING you miles behind and now they own several properties, and are making a mega bucks, that is because they did honestly not give a toss, they have left us perfectionist miles behind and we are wondering where did we go wrong? and they are laughing at us, we are still where we were 10 years ago and they now own two or three properties , and don't give a damn about how perfect your lines are. Are the lines p i ss ed , do they run parallel and so on. (Pls excuse me today I am under the influence of 3 and half pints of fosters lager) I need to enjoy my life more from now on! someone can put those lines right next time, my time is running out fast! I need go out ,more and enjoy the remaining years and tiles are tiles. they can probably outlast my life. so hey, cut the tiles , fill in grout, no one will ever give a damn. that is the truth, and truth always hurts.

3.5pints of lager speaking the truth!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back