Internal bathroom wall - render or stud before plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I'm looking for advice on what to do with our bathroom walls now that we've done the easy part of smashing all the 'lovely' avocado coloured tiles off them. It's an old Victorian terraced house and we're doing two walls (the other two are wetwalled), one of which is an external wall. After getting it back to brick, the walls are pretty uneven to say the least, about 2 inches in some places. I'm looking at the best way of levelling it all off, insulating it and getting plasterboard on there ready to skim it but I'm getting conflicting advice on how to do it.

So, the question is do I stud the wall, insulate between the studs and plasterboard, or do I render the wall then dot and dab some thermal backed plasterboard on there? I should say, the tiles were backed with plaster and render, but it looks ooold (maybe lime?). I'm getting confused because advice seems to be let it breathe and keep airflow, but other advice I've seen says no airflow. Also, there was never a problem with the existing render. No spots of damp or anything on there at the moment.

Here's some pictures of what I'm talking about:

main wall

Around window

close up

Any advice is appreciated as I'm going round in circles and the Mrs is starting to catch on that I have no idea what I'm doing!

Sponsored Links
You've got solid walls, is the exterior rendered (and perhaps insulated)?

I cant see detail on the photo of the window area, too dark.

The brickwork looks reasonably flat. Are you out 2" vertical or horizontal?

Besides the boiler, is there a radiator in the room?

Is the toilet staying in that position?

hi, thanks for the reply. The exterior was rendered about 4 years ago. The window is a 70's double glazing affair with a huge gap around the sides and a stone cill. I'll need to support the window board with something underneath eventually but not too focused on that yet.

the brickwork isn't too bad on a second measure. It's just uneven in a couple of spots but nothing that dot and dab can't fix. Also, the toilet is being replaced but kept in that position and there is a radiator, which is also being replaced but in the same position also. It's just to the left of the toilet in the first photo.

Thanks

Given that you have externally rendered solid walls, and there's been no signs of damp penetration, and you have a boiler, a rad, and all the hot pipework in that small room then:

You might try a mix of 6:1:1 S+L+C - no insulation.

Given no damp then Dot & Dab would also work.

There's various ways of insulating bathroom walls, Dot & Dab or floating.
Read up for information on here and on google.

Anyway, hopefully others will give more recent experience advice.

Remember that your toilet will be pulled out & off the wall a little.

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate. Think after extensive reading I'm going to go with dot and dab insulated gyproc board. seems to tick all the boxes without losing too much wall space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back