Internal door frame replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am considering replacing an internal door frame in my living room as it is quite old now and looking rather distressed.

Is it a job I could attempt on my own or would it be better to get a joiner in to do the work.

Would it just be a case of removing the architraves and prising off the two sides and the top of the frame then refitting a new one or is it more indepth than it looks?

I did replace the internal doors myself, and to the untrained eye they look ok. If anyone could give me some advice or tips to take into account I would be extremely grateful.

Regards
escapee

Sponsored Links
ok several points here :D :D

how old is the house!!!

old wood is much better quality than modern wood

is the door opening square and parralel!!!!!!!!

if it is you can probably replace the dammaged areas easier

if your lucky you will remove the door stops revealing nice clean screws that will cleanly come out without dammage

in the real world the nails holding the frame in will pull out chunks as well as big bits off plaster round the edges
the archatrave will be damaged and be a rare tropical hard wood that ireplaceable :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

how old is the house!!!

It was built around 1940's - 1950

is the door opening square and parallel! if it is you can probably replace the damaged areas easier

It looks square but I dont think they make that style of frame anymore its the frame with the area already recessed for the door as opposed to the nailed on wooden sections to the frame (if that makes sense)

If your lucky you will remove the door stops revealing nice clean screws that will cleanly come out without damage

I believe it was nailed on but like when I removed skirting boards, I drilled around the nails first to remove the skirting then removed the nails separately to reduce damage to walls. Takes longer but reduces risk of other problems.

The archatrave will be damaged and be a rare tropical hard wood that ireplaceable :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :wink

I intend to replace the architrave anyway on both living room door frames so that they finally correspond and don't look odd like they have for the last 28 years!!

Sponsored Links
ok its a moulded frame ;)

when i said square i ment the opening was parralel and square [not distorted through movement] :D

50 year old should be good quality timber still ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back