Internal Door Lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
115806215_2479017769056892_1981429261907710772_n.png

Sponsored Links
In the attached picture I would like to Move up the existing concrete lintel in the hallway (about 3 courses of brick and secondly insert a new lintel above the existing door frame at a much higher level so that I can have 2.5m High bespoke doors installed.

This property is a semi built between 1865-1905 and is sold brick. You can see the internal walls are made up of a single skin of timber and red bricks.

1. When the first lintel is raised, I have to cut the wood post but what would you recommend I put in the gap between where the wood finishes now with the current lintel and where the new lintel will be further up. (far left side of photo)

2. The Door frame requires a lintel and it will sit up high like the other one but after thinking about this the lintel is going to be sat on top of the hallway lintel. Can this be done? If not, what is the way around it?

I am guessing I would be right to use concrete lintels but please correct me on this if I am wrong.

Both walls continue on upstairs as bedroom walls inside the property.

The lintel in hall way wants to be a bit longer imo. Hard to tell how far its bearing on the wall as someone has gobbed it up with cement. so buy a new one and cut down if required. Replace the wood with a new full length piece if you want to have wood there. Or you could square the brick work off with plaster board and plaster over. It will make the opening slightly wider. I cant see why the door way lintel cant sit above as its load will be acting down through the whole wall, not just the lintel.

Sponsored Links
That concrete lintel probably replaced the original wood lintel when the stud wall in the background was fitted. It's modern

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back