Internal door to integral garage advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking into having a door installed from my house (under the stairs) into my integral garage.

I've contacted my local Building Control Officer who has given me the requirements for the installation re fire door specs etc. He also starting talking about "thermal values" and insulating the garage etc. I only wanted a door putting in!

After looking into it more I think that a way to combat heat loss could be as simple as a thicker fire door. I assume my garage is quite well insulation as it is (being integral and a new build). Do you think this would be enough or I am over worrying about the "thermal value" thing?

In addition, should my builder deal with all of these worries anyway? Should they also be the ones dealing with the building notice application, site inspections and making sure everything complies with building regulations? When would/should I get involved with these things? When would/should I receive the completion certificate?

All/any advice is welcome at this stage as I am a complete novice with these things! Also, I'm thinking of just putting the whole project on RatedPeople to find someone, good thing to do or not?

Thanks.

(ps. sorry if it's in the wrong area - it wouldn't let me post it elsewhere for some reason)

Sponsored Links
You need an FD20 doorset (FD30 is more commonly available) which is a 30 minute fire door and frame with a self closer, and inumescent strips. There needs to be a 100mm step down or a step over into the garage. Suitable lintel (concrete will do) above the new opening.

The BCO has likely mentioned thermal valiues of the garage walls because the new door should be an external grade door as the garage is treated as a cold external space, otherwise you have to insulate the garage walls and make it a warm space.

This is a bit pedantic, as normally a standard fire door will do. Get the "u-value" of the proposed door and see if you can agree that it will do.

The builder should handle all of this if you specify him to. But ultimately its your responsibility, so make sure he's doing as you contract him to do.

As for Rated People, you can get any old crap or someone who has at least half a clue. It's a lottery.

Thanks both. Anyone know what type of U-value is acceptable for building regs? Can't seem to find the numbers on the internet (for a door classed as external).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back