1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Internal garage conversion

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by PeterS123, 23 Sep 2020.

1. PeterS123

PeterS123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

I wanted to convert my internal garage into a room. I'd get somebody to brick it up and put in a window, then finish the insides myself. The question I have is do I need to get the buildings control involved at all? The room will be a study, with a raised floor to match the rest of the house (joists with insulation inbetween+ floor boards). Both my neighbours did theirs, and didn't bother with the buildings control BUT they haven't tried selling the house yet ;)

Cheers

2. frutbunn

frutbunn

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah it needs B regs due to a change in its energy status. there may also be some structural and means of escape issues.
    This is quite a popular one for retrospective approval when people come to sell.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. PeterS123

PeterS123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks frutbunn. That's some useful information there. After you've mentioned retrospective I did some more searching and come across an article saying a lot of people buy indemnity insurance in such circumstances. Sounds ridiculous that doing things properly (B regs) cost around £400 and an "insurance" will be a £100 IF the buyer insists... Now I know the logic of why neighbours couldn't be bothered

5. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The other issue with not applying for building regulation approval when you should, and living with unauthorised work, is that you potentially invalidate your house insurance cover.

6. Sponsored Links