Internal recessed manhole covered in slc how to open?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have spent most of my day trying to pry open a recessed internal manhole cover and failed .. The previous builder that made a connection for me covered it in SLC! Any ideas on what to try that does not involve moving home?https://goo.gl/photos/RFnKTo3G7NHc6wnt9

Sponsored Links
Thanks new boy hope you don't mind me calling you that ... I like the hydraulic option but I'm not sure it'll fit under the kitchen cupboards where half the cover is located see the picture I linked to in op .. I've had a go with a crow bar and that's just chewing up the frame .. I didn't want to get too heavy handed as the last thing I want is to need to replace the entire cover and frame .. How important is the frame in keeping smells contained ? I have no idea how the seal works on these things ...

Sponsored Links
sw15 ... are you a drain man ? I could use a hand with this .. the idea is to build a gully in the garden and make a new connection to this internal manhole ...

the damage so far shouldn't affect the seal. I see the lid is filled with screed that should be relatively easy to break up with hand tools - lump hammer and chisel - remove the screed and the weight will be greatly reduced then you might get it up;) afterwards you could replace some of the thickness of screed with celotex gripfilled in place and end up with say, 20mm of self levelling mixed with sand. No I haven't done it before but I know how difficult those sealed covers are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back