Internal Stop Tap

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

Must be my turn to go to specsavers cos I can't find it !
What I did find was
  • figure 3.3a which suggests that the point of entry into the room can be less than 750mm so long as the duct is insulated [solid floor]
    figure 3.3b which suggests that the pipe need not be insulated if the point of entry is greater than 750mm [solid floor]
    figure 3.3c, which relevant to this topic as it refers to a suspended internal floor; that states the point of entry can be any distance and must be insulated

There is no reference related to the question posted about position of the stoptap in this document.
The only thing I can find is the bit I previously posted which states :-
Location of stopvalve in buildings
G10.5 Stopvalves should, so far as reasonably practical, be installed inside the premises above floor level, near where the supply pipe enters the building and so installed that closure of the stopvalve will prevent the supply of water to all points of use.
and I found this here :-
http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/water/industry/wsregs99/guide/section7.htm
[G10 generally refers to stopvalves]

So when the following was stated
Stoptap can go anywhere provided it is 750mm from any external walls
I have yet to find a legal document to back that up
My point being that so long as the pipe being brought into the property is in accordance with figure 3.3c to answer the topic question; there is nothing wrong [reasonably practical] with running it straight back to the wall where it can be suitably accessed say at the back of a kitchen base unit

Stoptap can go anywhere provided it is 750mm from any external walls

Has anyone ever seen a stopcock, above the floor level and more than 750 from an external wall??

At present our old internal stop tap is about 350mm from the wall where it enters the property (cloakroom).
I recall that in our previous house the internal stop tap was in the basement next to the coal shute (it's one of them old house where coal was delivered down it into your basement) It was certainly no where near 750mm from the wall.
A surveyor friend did mention about the 750mm distance from the wall and the reason being to avoid the possibility of frost.

Anyhow I spoke to technical department of my water authority and was told that if the pipe is insulated it can be brought in closer and need not have to be 750mm from the external wall. So there you have it. A very interesting point of discussion.
Thank you to everybody who has contributed to this subject.

ChrisR said:
Has anyone ever seen a stopcock, above the floor level and more than 750 from an external wall??

My stoptap is about 1.5 m from the external wall above floor level in the kitchen. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back