internal wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am planning on converting brick shed into utility room. The walls are a single layer of bricks. How much depth would internal wall insulation take up, including anything that needs to go behind to fix it to the walls?

I don't know if this affects it or if there are any building regs about this, but it will be attached to the house via a small extension (it is currently stand-alone). It will also be heating (so my washing will actually dry!)

Sponsored Links
I believe that if it's a habitable room it should be subject to Building Regs.

I think that the minimum insulation should be 50mm, but if there's none in the ceiling then BR may require more.
As it's a half-brick wall, dry-lining should be considered. Thus, 25 X 50mm timber fixed to wall, layer of VPM, then 50mm insulation backed PB.

So, all-in all, asume about 100mm thickness added to internal wall.

For 105mm single brick walls, the insulation will be in the realms of 125mm Celotex or similar. There are is also the floor and roof to consider.

It may be reg's exempt if it is stand alone and has its own independent heating system.

Noseall - does the 125mm include timber behind it? The roof needs to be replaced anyway, so will get it properly insulated then. It won't be stand alone when I've finished with it!

I'm just trying to work out how much space I will have inside it. Or indeed, whether there's enough room to make it worthwhile!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back