Internet connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm with Virgin. It's never been thst good.

Tried connecting a small smart TV in my girls room with the Internet.
It keeps dropping out
My Ring Door bell worked sometimes but not all the time. I think it also struggled with connecting.

Spoke with Virgin and they say nothing is wrong and it's upto speed.
I'm not sure they ate telling me the truth.

Would a plug in booster help?​

Sponsored Links
Wired connections are always preferred to using WiFi from the router.

Virgin will likely only care about monitor the cable-connected speed to their modem and will be telling the truth. WiFi speeds have too many variables... choosing a different channel may help?

If using WiFi then range extenders / mesh systems can make a difference.

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/intelligent-wifi may be something to look into with Virgin - possibly a newer router and their own mesh system bits?

Giving the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands different SSIDs may also help.
In general, the 2.4GHz band has more reach; when the 5GHz band can handle more speed.
If the SSIDs for both are the same, then the connected device should be able to seamlessly switch bands, however this is not always the case, and there can be dropouts, or older devices may have trouble connecting in the first place.

Some info from the Virgin community here...

Sponsored Links
As others have touched on, you can run some speed tests yourself. Google 'speed test' and you'll find loads of offerings. If possible attach something like a laptop to the hub via ethernet cable (so it's directly connected not using wifi) and run speed tests at a few points throughout the day. Also run them using wifi in the same room as the hub, then in your daughters room. Note the download/upload speeds you're achieving.

If the wifi in your daughters room is flaky, you could try something like this:

And obviously if the connection speeds you're seeing at the hub are very low compared to the broadband package you're paying for, raise a call with Virgin to investigate. If they refuse call them and choose the 'thinking of leaving us' option and explain. Obviously advertised speeds are 'up to' however you should still be seeing half decent speeds.

Last edited:
I find https://fast.com/ quite good for testing my speed. It also works with phones and tablets.

My speed is
Screenshot_20230827_165243_Chrome.jpg

Is that the same as range. What I mean by that is.
My Ring Door bell is checking with my phone beside it is about 40Mbps

Wired connections are always preferred to using WiFi from the router.

Virgin will likely only care about monitor the cable-connected speed to their modem and will be telling the truth. WiFi speeds have too many variables... choosing a different channel may help?

If using WiFi then range extenders / mesh systems can make a difference.

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/intelligent-wifi may be something to look into with Virgin - possibly a newer router and their own mesh system bits?

The fella said he's going to send me a cable to connect from my router direct to my main TV. But will this make a stronger connection to the front of my house Bedroom TV & Doorbell)

Giving the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands different SSIDs may also help.
In general, the 2.4GHz band has more reach; when the 5GHz band can handle more speed.
If the SSIDs for both are the same, then the connected device should be able to seamlessly switch bands, however this is not always the case, and there can be dropouts, or older devices may have trouble connecting in the first place.

Some info from the Virgin community here...

It is an old TV (JVC). Its smart but never what I'd call a good buy.

As others have touched on, you can run some speed tests yourself. Google 'speed test' and you'll find loads of offerings. If possible attach something like a laptop to the hub via ethernet cable (so it's directly connected not using wifi) and run speed tests at a few points throughout the day. Also run them using wifi in the same room as the hub, then in your daughters room. Note the download/upload speeds you're achieving.

If the wifi in your daughters room is flaky, you could try something like this:

I'm not technical, these plug in boosters are what I imagined would solve my problem. How do they work exactly?

I'm not technical, these plug in boosters are what I imagined would solve my problem. How do they work exactly?

What are Powerline adaptors?​

Powerline is a simple-to-install digital home technology that can provide faster speeds than Wi-Fi for connecting devices to your network, regardless of whether or not they’re in the same room as your router.

It uses your home’s mains power wires to create a network connection that—in most cases—is faster than Wi-Fi. It isn’t limited to gadgets that have an Ethernet port: some Powerline kits can create powerful new Wi-Fi hotspots to give you a wireless signal in rooms or areas your router can’t reach.

It’s simple, easy to set up, and inexpensive given that it will greatly improve your home network for streaming HD TV, gaming and other data-hungry devices and services.

What are Powerline adaptors?​

Powerline is a simple-to-install digital home technology that can provide faster speeds than Wi-Fi for connecting devices to your network, regardless of whether or not they’re in the same room as your router.

It uses your home’s mains power wires to create a network connection that—in most cases—is faster than Wi-Fi. It isn’t limited to gadgets that have an Ethernet port: some Powerline kits can create powerful new Wi-Fi hotspots to give you a wireless signal in rooms or areas your router can’t reach.

It’s simple, easy to set up, and inexpensive given that it will greatly improve your home network for streaming HD TV, gaming and other data-hungry devices and services.

I do hope thats not a bit of Pragmatism :ROFLMAO:.

Thank you. I'll try one of these if my cable doesn't work.

Powerline adapters are the spawn of the devil.
They might work and they very well might not. (Been there, tried that, got the T shirt.)

It depends which ring main circuit the two devices are on. Same ring = great. Different ring = maybe, maybe not. Not in my case.

Get a mesh wifi system to work with or instead of the Virgin hub wifi. Virgin may supply units if you ask nicely and their prices may be competitive?

You need to read up on networking and Mesh wifi and such to get some basic understanding of what and why things are as they are. Check out that link I gave earlier.

Sponsored Links
Back