Internet Explorer 6 Service pack 1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It would seem this is the last of the IE packs to run with Windows98se and IE 5 will run but not Outlook Express which comes with it. So want to upgrade.

However I can down load the set-up file easy enough but once down loaded the next bit seems to have gone. So where can I get the complete program?

Don't use 98 much but I have one or two programs that will not run with XP and I have to duel boot. Would like to be able to read emails while in 98se.

Sponsored Links
Instead of dual booting and exposing a ridiculously vulnerable OS to your normal internet activities, run 98 in a VM and only use it for those few, ancient programs you apparently cannot replace. Please.

Windows 98se is only used one in a blue moon mainly to program PLC's but the last time it was because XP would not connect to internet seems the LAN card driver was damaged. So to sort this out I needed internet access so there were two ways.

* Linux live disc which are really slow booting and often fail to boot.
* Boot up in Windows98se.

I was able to download drivers and get XP up and running again but was unable to read emails while using 98se as I had not downloaded IE6 which also upgrades Outlook Express. Trying to get emails with live disk is really a pain so want to be able if I ever have problem again to read emails when in Windows 98se. However when I tried to upgrade it would seem the start-up bit is still around but the main program has gone so it fails to upgrade.

I am sure in the end I will find some service providers disc with a full copy of IE 6 but where they are is another thing. So looking for a download site with full version not just the start-up.

Not a clue what a VM is?

Sponsored Links
Instead of dual booting and exposing a ridiculously vulnerable OS to your normal internet activities, run 98 in a VM and only use it for those few, ancient programs you apparently cannot replace. Please.

This, this and double this!

Not a clue what a VM is?

Virtual Machine, basically a window on your desktop which emulates a PC so you can install another version of windows etc inside the window.
I'm not sure how VM would interact with the computers serial connection though (assuming of course you are using RS232 programming leads?)
I just have an old laptop for playing about with PLCs etc, not got any progs that requires earlier than win XP tho.

I have tried running dos emulators and found the ports don't work. I have for the moment given up looking for IE6. If I come across an old ISP installation disk I will look and see if IE6 is on it but it would seem only the startup bit is still on the internet.

Back