Intruder Alarm wired to same c/breaker as lighting circuits.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

In my house for some reason the intruder alarm has been wired to the same MCB as the lighting circuits even though the dist. board is 8 way and has a spare way.

This is annoying in a couple of ways, first whenever i want to modify the lighting -eg i am in the process of fitting some recessed spotlights (in parallel off existing ceiling rose) and i want to isolate the lighting circuit it switches the mains power to the intruder alarm off too and with it having a knackered battery backup the alarm goes off within about 20 seconds. So i work through the noise or get a new battery -or perhaps put the alarm onto its own breaker?

It would be better if the alarm was on its own breaker but my question is: how would i do this? and is it reasonably straight forward?

Look forward to receiving your responses. Many thanks.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Just get a new battery for your panel.

That'd be by far the easiest thing to do.

I would do both. Get a new battery and make a new circuit. Making a new circuit is a relatively easy job, but as you are fitting a new mcb, it will involve using a competent person who can certify and notify.

matty25, the "some reason" is because who ever installed it:

1) Does not have an MCB for your Consumers unit

2) Does not have a clue what to do with it if he had one.

Sponsored Links
matty25, the "some reason" is because who ever installed it:

1) Does not have an MCB for your Consumers unit

2) Does not have a clue what to do with it if he had one.

Yep seems that way Breezer, wouldnt mind but the panel is bang next to the dist. board, how much is an mcb for crying out loud lol.

i direct you back to Item 2

also a lot of alarm companies work to a very close budget, and yes a few quid will make the difference, specialy if they are quuting against some one else.

who would you go for

"A" quotes this and that and no mcb (but does not tell you that bit)

"C" quotes the same kit, but the cost is more because he is fitting an MCB, and has allowed for the time in the costing (but he doesnt tell you that bit)

naturally you will opt for quote "A"

so although its "only a few quid" perhaps you can see why it wasnt done

Agreed Breezer.

I have since bought a Yuasa 12V 2.1ah rechargeable battery and replaced the existing battery and so good so far no complaints at all. Think old battery was knackered to be honest, plus it was a 1.2ah not a 2.1ah.

Incidentally the Yuasa 12V 2.1ah battery cost me about £12, thought this was pretty good myself?

Regards
Matt

Agreed Breezer.
Incidentally the Yuasa 12V 2.1ah battery cost me about £12, thought this was pretty good myself?

Seems like a pretty good price, you can of course buy cheaper off the likes of eBay, although it's a bit of a gamble when it comes to things like batteries unless you're buying from a reputable seller. I seem to recall I paid about £30 for a battery for my panel, although that's a 18Ah jobby.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back