Invoicing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive set up as a self employed plumber and have given a couple of quotes so far.

Got work from it and now need to invoice the customer. What information should I include and legally what do I have to include?

How about receipts for jobs too?

Ta muchos!!!!

Sponsored Links
if you are a one man band it must say at the bottom,

Jamkaw T/A a plumbing company

trading as "Myname Plumbing"

If your bank account is in the name of "Myname" it will be easier to pay in cheques if they are made out to "Myname" not "Myname Plumbing"

Sponsored Links
Been in business 7 years now and have only ever been asked for the very occasional invoices/receipts.
Thanks very much here is your cheque/money.

Don't worry so much... Simple Staples Invoice book. Write your company name at top and their name as the customer and put "work done (or whatever way you want to phrase it)" and the amount.

At the end of the day nobody out there in the big wide world cares except you and the customer. The tax man wants to know what you charged of course and it's not a bad idea for you to know who paid you what just in case he calls (but not a legal requirement I do not believe as shops sell stuff and services all the time to unknown customers).

Why won`t accountant like it , Simple 2 pages for each month, one list of addresses with amount charged . Other page list of out goings with reciepts from merchants ,fuel, phone etc. No need for invoice to customers

Do you need addresses? The cinema/supermarket/theme park do not take my address when they charge me for their service.

To be honest it is probably different rules for different businesses which is why shops etc just pool everything together. And we have to say where it came from.
But if you don`t count mondays and tues towards the tax club it makes the paper work easier :cool: ;) ;)

If you start as business - self employed or not - proper letterheads for quotes and invoicing etc makes you stand out from the 'cowboy' crowd.
Letterheads can be very simple plus if you have Word you can print them yourself very easily. Letterheads should contain company name, address, phone number and as JohnD said: your name trading as Plumber X if your bank account is in your name.

For simple accounting - like a ledger I can highly recommend this program: Rapid Cash Accounting Package (created by my own accountant)

No what makes you stand out from the crowd is good quality of workmanship treat customer with respect and do an honest job, you will get more work from that than anything. Every ***** van that does guttering,driveways etc looks the business now and they give excellent looking paperwork but good paperwork does not mean a professional job

Oh I agree totally with that. But having the same quality in communication with your clients besides quality craftsmanship is a win-win-win

Why won`t accountant like it , Simple 2 pages for each month, one list of addresses with amount charged . Other page list of out goings with reciepts from merchants ,fuel, phone etc. No need for invoice to customers

Obviously,big boy,you've never had a tax investigation?

:evil:

Obviously,big boy,you've never had a tax investigation?

:evil:
Or a proper accountant! One that not just add the numbers but also helps you grow your business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back