Ip breeches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ip breaches
On a fuse board. Eg wire cutouts above and below are a standard size - if it was cut out but only a 1.5 mm cable was put in would the hole be a ip breech?

On the iso switch gaps around the edge and 1mm copper showing ?
Do you have to ring the dno to sort it ?

Problems with incoming supply housing? Whos responsibility is it to sort? Would I be responsibe for any problems / ip breaches if I went to a property to replace say a fascia in the living room (part of my job is to look and give advise on the fuse board) and I didn't see a gap

Sponsored Links
The top surface of a consumer unit or distribution board etc should have an IP rating of not less than IP4X which means it should be protected against the penetration of a test item of not more than 1mm diameter.

The underside would be subject to a minimum rating of IP2X so protected against the penetration of not more than 12.5mm diameter.

For that reason I prefer to use the rear entries.

Would I be expected to repair any gaps because I have seen them or just inform the customer they are there - also that goes with the other questions about the iso switch and the main incoming supply enclosures

Are you referring to a main isolator that's connected in-line with the tails?
There's copper showing outside of the enclosure?

Is the other part you're referring to the DNO's cut-out?
If there's a problem with that then you need to speak to the DNO on the customers behalf or ask the customer to speak directly.

You can note these defects on your certificate and make the customer aware, even issue a danger notice if needs be but that's as far as you need to take it.

Sponsored Links
Yes that's what I meant :)

That's what I thought, my employer is stating I must try to "fix" any Ip breaches I see and is disiplining if I miss any (if they do a follow up visit) even though I haven't worked on any of that part of the installation.

Silicone sealant is your best friend ;)

PS
ref
my employer is stating I must try to "fix" any Ip breaches I see and is disiplining if I miss any

If you are just a beginner/improver spark then you'll have to live with your employers 19th Century attitude. If you have some quals and experience then I'd jump ship!

my employer is stating I must try to "fix" any Ip breaches I see and is disiplining if I miss any (if they do a follow up visit) even though I haven't worked on any of that part of the installation.

You can only fix those you reasonably see during the course of your work. You cannot be held responsible for assessing the whole installation when you're only there a short time, say fixing a broken socket outlet.

For example, if you went to a property to fix a broken socket in the garage and everything you needed was in the garage, you would not be expected to notice an IP breach in the lounge or bedroom, would you?

As TTC says, silicone or sealant is your best friend. I use decorators caulk, as it is accepted by my superiors as a permament fix for IP breaches. Also, as it is water soluble, if you get any on your hands, it's not a PIA getting it off.

The big ones in my mind to make sure are sealed are the CU, as this can be accessed by children and adults fumbling around in the dark and any enclosure you may install you want to comply, even a surface-mounted socket outlet would still be an IP breach if you let the cable in at the top of the pattress.

Replaced this one recently. I wonder what IP rating that is then?

c57ab611.jpg

That actually complies with IP4X.

Where 4X is the dimension of a can of lager.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back