IP66 box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a switch on the tow bar of my caravan to isolate the motor mover. As it will be subjected to water at 60mph or more I'd like to fit it inside a box rated at IP66. I have not been able to find an IP66 rated box with a hinged lid that is easy to open to get at the switch. Most of the boxes seem to have lids fixed by screws which is no help.
Does anyone know where I can buy a box about 80mm x 80mm x 80mm or slightly bigger. (I managed to find a Chinese supplier but they will only supply 100 and I want one).
I need it as the switch is in the normal position next to the caravan batteryat the side of the caravan but I want to keep my caravan in my drive and it will be against a wall so I will not be able to get at the "normal" position of switch

Sponsored Links
OK I failed to explain why I need this. A motor mover on a caravan has a fail safe in that if it is overloaded or is switched on for too long the electronic control box cuts out. I want to reverse my caravan about 4 metres between two walls so the only access will be to the fronts of the caravan., If the motor mover control box cuts out I need to access the main switch and cut the power (12volt) and after a short time switch it back on. I thought IP66 would offer the best protection to the switch

Sponsored Links
two questions?

Does it need to be on the towbar? Can you not just fit it inside? Where the battery is?

Can you not just fit a box with a standard lid, you can get a 100x100x50 box for like £2 and they're only 4 screws to take the lid off

two questions?

Does it need to be on the towbar? Can you not just fit it inside? Where the battery is?

Can you not just fit a box with a standard lid, you can get a 100x100x50 box for like £2 and they're only 4 screws to take the lid off
I can't fit it inside as there will be points as I move it that mean I can't open the door.
I could use a box with 4 screws but one with a clip and hinges would be easier.

Buy a box with a screw lid and mount a waterproof switch in the lid, plenty to choose from for 12v,
also putting your caravan in a position where you cant gain access to either side seems slightly risks should you have a more serious fault with the motor mover, also the motor movers should be wound off when not used otherwise they will damage the tyres

putting your caravan in a position where you cant gain access to either side seems slightly risks should you have a more serious fault with the motor mover, also the motor movers should be wound off when not used otherwise they will damage the tyres
It will end up in a position where I can get to the door and also disconnect the motor mover, it is the 4 meter section with maybe 100mm on either side that worries me. Once in place I'll disconnect things correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back