1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

iPad or normal laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joeandrews, 29 Mar 2012.

1. joeandrews

joeandrews

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I am self employed (one man band) I have a laptop and use it for e-mails, surfing the net and mostly use MS Word for most of my business needs; invoices etc.

My laptop is on it's last legs and I need to upgrade.

I don't know much about IPads, do you think one would be suitable for my needs or should I go for a new laptop as before.

Many thanks.

2. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a laptop and the wife just got a new ipad. The ipad is just like a large iphone. Get a new laptop, you want a keyboard not a glass screen to tap out all of your work on.

Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. freddiemercurystwin

freddiemercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Lappy every time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Astra99

Astra99

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Perhaps a 10.1 or 11 inch screen Netbook might be worth considering. It's a bit smaller than a laptop (15.6" screen or bigger). I have just bought one (HP refurbished) to take to Spain, an HP Mini 210 plus an extra 1GB of RAM for £215. Does everything my 17" laptop and my desktop machine do!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you are going to be doing any document writing, or text input then you will really need a keyboard

If you are just browsing and mainly reading or looking at pictures, then a touch screen will do

I don't know why you have only mentioned an iPad when there are more capable Android tablets available - even ones with a removable keyboard

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I had always discounted the tablets as being oversized phones but I recently got to try out a friends Veiwsonic running windows 8 (preview).

I am considering buying a second hand windows 7 tablet and upgrading it to W8.

If the choice however was laptop only or tablet only then I would always go for the laptop.