IPX4 FAN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someboby confirm this for me. In my downstairs shower room only place i can install fan is within shower area.Want install a 240v one as putting transformer in zone 3 is not an option i want to consider.

If i install above 2.25m fan will need to be IPX4(splashproof?)

If below this have to be protected by 30ma rcd.

Also the fan will have to be supplementary bonded to hot&cold of shower.

Is above correct,or anything i havr not considered.

Sponsored Links
As its in a shower its going to be suseptable to moisture and steam so get the highest ip rating you can.
Its a fixed appliance and if its ip rated for4 the job won't need an rcd. you can fit one for piece of mind if you wish its up to you
you don't need to bond extractor fans of this nature (the terminals won't accept 4 mm cable anyway)
It must be conected to a mutipole isolater
2 pole for non timed fan
3 pole for timed fan

I have mounted box ready for triple pole isolator(outside zones)

What is a higher ip fan then. 4 is spashproof i know

Regarding bonding. no need then cause fan is double insulated?

you don't need to bond extractor fans of this nature (the terminals won't accept 4 mm cable anyway)

Thats brought up another question sparka. In bathrooms i have allowed for supp. bonding on mirrors above sinks(with light, not yet bought) Will connections on these allow for 4mm, or does it depend of the construction of it

ipx4 is fine (some wholesalers have higher rated fans from eastern block ****ries from time to time, I dont think they are higher rated in reality)
yes double insulated means no bonding

Sponsored Links
You are correct that if the fan is in zone 1 and is 240v, it WILL need RCD protection.

You should supplymentary bond to ONE item on the lighting circuit - the lighting cct CPC then bonds the rest of the items ;) No need to run a 4mm to every light/switch/mirror.

Thought so Lectrician :)

Another question for u. In this bathroom which consists of a thermostatic shower,rad, sink and of course the fan. Not to forget the light, which is located out of the zones.

If i did not put a mirror in with light there would be no electrical device in any of the zones. Am i corrrect that there will be no need for s.b.

If all electrical kit is outside all zones (inc z3), then only the pipe work needs bonding.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back