Iron Bath re-enamelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this.
We had some building work done recently and the bath ended up getting covered in brick dust and god knows what else.

Have tried everything to clean it up again but it just looks dirty.

What are my options. I re-enamel sounds OTT as it doesn't seem to be in too bad shape - as I said it just looks dirty.

I assume the dirt has got in the enamel and we cant get them out. I did wonder about trying the garden pressure washer out and trying that - does anyone know if that would take off the enamel completely rather than cleaning the bath?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Dream on Kevin.

Nothing the builders do or have done will discolor the enamel of a cast iron bath.

Maybe it looks grey/dirty because the new tiles are whiter, even improving natural light will give it a different appearance

You could be right.
We actually bought the house and then got it rewired straight away before we moved in. It is possible it was dirty before I suppose, but I don't think so. The wife certainly has a good eye for cleanliness and reckons it was OK.

Either way, what are my options for cleaning it up?

To re-enamel a bath it has to be baked in a kiln, so unless its an expensive roll top not worth the cost or damage to tiles etc.

You can have an acrylic coating applied (not as durable as enamel) or get it professionally cleaned. Have a look at this site.

http://www.renubath.co.uk/

Jason

Sponsored Links
Cast iron always has a greyish look about it, the top quality ones maybe slightly less.

As for cleaning anything on the surface will be visible and can be removed with any domestic non abrasive cleaner, anything below the glaze is manufactured at the time the bath was made and is there to stay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back