Irrationally

Did the French ever apologise for their brutality in Vietnam?

Sponsored Links
I see Vinty wants to get in on the 'let's use as many racially abusive terms that we can think of' attitude that is endemic in this forum.
I wasn't being racially abusive.
I was merely repeating what someone said.

Didn’t the Americans get drawn into Vietnam because of the French?

It was more about fighting Communism (Viet Cong)

The French bailed at Dien Bien Phu
US initially supported the Vietnamese in their struggle for independence, against the French.
Only when it was realised that Vietnam would possibly fall under the influence of communism did US get involved in Vietnam.

Sponsored Links
I wasn't being racially abusive.
I was merely repeating what someone said.
You didn't attribute your comment to anyone else.
You were content to repeat a racially abusive term.
Now you know, you can amend your comment if you wish not be racially offensive.

Vinty, racially abusive.

just repeating what somone said.

just repeating what somone said.[/QUOTE]
In the original context it referred to the Viet Cong.

In modern U.S. usage, "gook" refers particularly to communist soldiers during the Vietnam War

Americans dropped more bombs....

On V than they did in WWII?
Apparently so.
Quote..

Between 1965 and 1975, the United States and its allies dropped more than 7.5 million tons of bombs on Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia—double the amount dropped on Europe and Asia during World War II. Pound for pound, it remains the largest aerial bombardment in human history

You didn't attribute your comment to anyone else.
You were content to repeat a racially abusive term.
Now you know, you can amend your comment if you wish not be racially offensive.[/QUOTEn
No need to apologise.
Gook in my original post referred to communists/Viet cong soldiers.

In modern U.S. usage, "gook" refers particularly to communist soldiers during the Vietnam War.

US initially supported the Vietnamese in their struggle for independence, against the French.
Only when it was realised that Vietnam would possibly fall under the influence of communism did US get involved in Vietnam.
The British defeated the Viet Minh, they then left the tidying up to the French and look what happened.

In the original context it referred to the Viet Cong.

In modern U.S. usage, "gook" refers particularly to communist soldiers during the Vietnam War
That may have been the original usage, but today it's still a derogatory term for people of Asian descent.
Would use other offensive terms because they were acceptable at some point in the past? :rolleyes:
And claim that they are not offensive because they weren't offensive at some point in the past? :rolleyes:

The British defeated the Viet Minh, they then left the tidying up to the French and look what happened.
Are the libraries open near you yet?
The western allies defeated the Japanese, with the help of Chinese troops in the north of Vietnam.
The western troops left, even rearming some Japanese prisoners to help with administration, and Vietnam formed its own government.
The French, who had been allowed to remain in Vietnam to administer it, by the Japanese in WW2, tried to reinstate that administration, which resulted in the Vietnamese - French hostilities.

There was never any hostilities between UK and Viet Minh.

Are the libraries open near you yet?
The western allies defeated the Japanese, with the help of Chinese troops in the north of Vietnam.
The western troops left, even rearming some Japanese prisoners to help with administration, and Vietnam formed its own government.
The French, who had been allowed to remain in Vietnam to administer it, by the Japanese in WW2, tried to reinstate that administration, which resulted in the Vietnamese - French hostilities.

There was never any hostilities between UK and Viet Minh.
The libraries aren't open where you are obviously.

40 British dead.

Casualties. For Britain's involvement in the First Vietnam War, the officially stated casualty list was 40 British and Indian soldiers killed and French and Japanese casualties a little higher. An estimated 2,700 Viet Minh were killed

Sponsored Links
Back