Is 15 mm copper piping always suitable for potable water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know various plumbing products (valves etc) may or may be WRAS approved, or may or may not be suitable for potable/drinking water.

I was wondering if new 15 mm copper pipe is always suitable for use with drinking water, or is there any particular difference in different brands of 15 mm copper piping? Is some copper piping WRAS approved and some not?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Good question,let us know (y)

Possum if your the installer the answer is in this document, The 'Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999'

If your not the installer,say so.

You should be aware of this document by now,

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question,let us know (y)
I was hoping someone here might know.

I wouldn't be the installer (not least of all as I've no idea how to solder), however if I were to have some work done to replace plastic water pipes in my house, I don't want to be fobbed off with some cheap brand of copper piping simply because I haven't done a little research beforehand.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I thought all copper pipe was manufactured to BS EN 1057, in which case it is suitable for potable water.

I'm sure someone (Agile) will correct me if I'm wrong.

Ha ha no such thing as cheap copper and why not buy a wras handbook very good value and handy ( could that be why they're called handbooks).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back