is 4g an overhyped wasdte of time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seeing as how 99% of places don't even have 3g yet i can't see 4g existing outside of big city centres for a couple of years and by the time it filters out to other places it'll be superceded.

Anyone have 4g or think it'll actually be useable unlike 3g?

Sponsored Links
I find 3G good enough for me. Think this just another way of locking someone into another exspensive contract for 18 months or more.

Seeing as how 99% of places don't even have 3g yet i can't see 4g existing outside of big city centres for a couple of years and by the time it filters out to other places it'll be superceded.

Anyone have 4g or think it'll actually be useable unlike 3g?

Shouldn't that be unusable.

I agree. Most current technology is sh*te anyway. It all sounds good but is normally more trouble than its worth

Sponsored Links
Its still very early days yet but 4G is the way forward, there will be teething troubles, theres the rumoured TV interference if you have freeview for example.

What i don't understand (well i do) is why moblie providers hype up 4G but fail to tell you you've got to pay through the nose to use it, why cap usage at 500mb or 1Gb when the point of 4G is ultra fast downloads, they hype up the fact that you can download a full HD movie in 3 seconds flat or a full music album in a nano second but they don't tell you thats half your allowance gone, what are they scared of by not giving you unlimited data.........thats the whole point of 4G

Its still very early days yet but 4G is the way forward, there will be teething troubles, theres the rumoured TV interference if you have freeview for example.

What i don't understand (well i do) is why moblie providers hype up 4G but fail to tell you you've got to pay through the nose to use it, why cap usage at 500mb or 1Gb when the point of 4G is ultra fast downloads, they hype up the fact that you can download a full HD movie in 3 seconds flat or a full music album in a nano second but they don't tell you thats half your allowance gone, what are they scared of by not giving you unlimited data.........thats the whole point of 4G

its goner kill broadband services,which when all up and running and prices drop isnt such a bad thing.

all the media saying WOW how quick it is,well of course it is,theres only about 100 people using it at the moment.
wonder how well it cope when there are millions of peeps using the system will they still be getting the same results as they are now???

its goner kill broadband services,which when all up and running and prices drop isnt such a bad thing.

all the media saying WOW how quick it is,well of course it is,theres only about 100 people using it at the moment.
wonder how well it cope when there are millions of peeps using the system will they still be getting the same results as they are now???

This is probably the main reason they won't un cap it and at the same time rake in the money when users exceed their allowance/bundle.....in fact they're counting on it

I'd be happy with reliable GSM..... function not available on iPhones.

There was an article on BBC Watchdog a couple of weeks ago about 4G.

Apparently due to the download speeds, users could use their monthly allowance in as little as three and a half MINUTES, as the quicker it is, the more we are likely to download.

There was an article on BBC Watchdog a couple of weeks ago about 4G.

Apparently due to the download speeds, users could use their monthly allowance in as little as three and a half MINUTES, as the quicker it is, the more we are likely to download.

Which is what they are hoping you won't realise until its too late.

3G is well fast enough for me until you get into a busy cell which has too many phones connected, all of which are trying to send/receive data. It's not the bandwidth to a single phone that appears to be the problem, it's the bandwidth at the tower. Will 4G solve this problem?

4G's speed boost comes of Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing, the same technology used by ADSL, Wi-Fi, DVB-T, DVB-H and DAB. OFDM not only reduces latency, but minimises interference and can cram more data into the same slice of radio bandwidth.

Another technology, spatial multiplexing, gained importance for its bandwidth conservation and power efficiency. Spatial multiplexing involves deploying multiple antennas at the transmitter and at the receiver.

Independent streams can then be transmitted simultaneously from all the antennas. This technology, called 'multiple input multiple output' multiplies the base data rate by the number of transmit antennas or the number of receive antennas, the idea of having multiple antennas on transmitters and receivers is already used to great effect in 802.11n Wi-Fi gear.

It'll be interesting to see who gets what and where, bandwidth will obviously suffer as more and more switch but you can't compare it with shrinking bandwidth on 3G, it'll be a long time yet i'm sure before we're all complaining of poor bandwidth on 4G purely because there aren't that many 4G enabled phones yet

Sponsored Links
Back