is 80L water heater ok for a bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old electric water heater has broken, Its Simex, but I cant see a model or size, Im guessing it may be 80L from the outer volume working out around 95.
Does this sound ok for a bath ?

Sponsored Links
Depends on the size of bath, how full you fill it and how hot you want it. An average bath filled up is around the 200L mark @ 40 odd deg.

So I would reckon that an 80L heater might struggle to give a full bath @ 40 odd deg.

Depends on the size of bath....An average bath filled up is around the 200L mark @ 40 odd deg.
200 litre?!!!! Where do you get that from?
Water regs dictate permission is required for a bath larger than 230 litre, and that's a bloody big bath. An average 1700 bath to the overflow level is about 100 litre with just one adult in residence. More than one in the bath, or a large one means less water is required!

80 litre sounds fine to me, but you will have used up most if not all of it's contents for a bath. - showers are much more water and wallet conserving.

200 litre?!!!! Where do you get that from?
Water regs dictate permission is required for a bath larger than 230 litre, and that's a bloody big bath. An average 1700 bath to the overflow level is about 100 litre

A standard 1700x700mm bath can hold a lot more than 100L to the overflow, more around 180L. If you average that out with larger double ended, deeper - L shaped etc baths then that gets pushed up, it also takes into consideration topping up, re-heating etc

Standards quote that a person should use 100L @40Deg in a 1700mm bath but everyone I know has it hotter, always overfills and re-heats the water whilst in it etc.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yeah, wouldn't be far out if the bath and person was in America :)

The standards specify that a standard person in a standard bath (1700x700mm) should be able to have a bath in around 100L of water but in my experience this is never the case. 100L will give you a relatively shallow bath. Which according to the standards is what everyone should have as a water saving exercise.

Even then I can't remember the last time I installed a 'standard' 1700x700mm bath. All the ones I've fitted recently are 760mm (750mm) wide, with the P/L shaped baths getting up to 850mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back