Is a 6a switch suitable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Wondering if someone can help...

Basically I have two ceiling lights that are identical in my through lounge and connected to the same switch via a 2 gang switch.

The lights are partial LED and partial G4 bulb based (9 to be specific). They also have their own switch built-in so are remote controlled.

Past few days they randomly turn off - one more so than the other, but both have this issue. I thought it could be the in-built switch but don't think this is what it is, as it happens to both.

It isn't tripping the RCD and switching the main light switch off and on again a few times sorts it out.

I'm starting to think that the wall light switch is faulty.

I'm looking to change it for a flat face 2 gang push button switch that is rated at 6a. Would this be suitable for a light that has 9x g4 bulbs (rated 20W each so 180W) and LEDS at 14W. There are two of these going to a 2 gang switch.

Sponsored Links
Certainly possible, although there could be other reasons.
I'm looking to change it for a flat face 2 gang push button switch that is rated at 6a. Would this be suitable for a light that has 9x g4 bulbs (rated 20W each so 180W) and LEDS at 14W. There are two of these going to a 2 gang switch.
A 6A-rated switch is more than enough - the total of all your lights is going to be under 1A.

Is the new push-button switch you're considering a dimmer? Does it have a metal faceplate? Are these lights jsut controlled by one switch (each), or can they be turned on/off from different places/switches?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
They also have their own switch built-in so are remote controlled.

I think this "remote control" thing is more likely to be the cause than a normal light switch.
Can you post a link to the product?
Does it turn off whenever your neighbour uses his remote-controlled garage door opener etc.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back