Is a Concrete Lintel Enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to open up a doorway in the hall (shown in pic Two). Ideally we want it opened up as close to the ceiling as possible. The span is only 900mm but is supporting multiple joists so I will need a 1200mm support beam. Can anyone advise if a 65 x 100mm Concrete lintel (with a load bearing capacity of 15.67 kN/m) would be enough or should I go for a more substantial RSJ which seem to come in around 19-56 KN?

This is a Dormer bungalow with just a bedroom above with stud walls.

In Pic One I have shown in blue the edges where the support will sit.
The joists marked in Green are only 2m long and go to the external wall (above is mostly loft space).
The three joists marked red terminate on the wall and span the length of the 3.5m hall (above is bedroom).
Just on the left edge I have marked in Pink the double joist that is the main support for the stairway... Obviously the intent is not to go anywhere near that.

Attachments

• One.jpg
    One.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 147
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 150
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back