Is a Feather edge usually used for tiling??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got someone semi retired bathroom fitter / carpenter doing a bathroom for me whilst I do another (a bit slower than the fitter!).

They are *adament* tilers do not use a feather edge, its only for plasterers. They use a 1200 spirit level, and their "eye" and "he's been doing it for 20 years".

I put my 1800 feather edge and I see the tiles from the top to bottom out by 20mm, not to bad horizontally. I don't claim to be a tiler but I have tiled bathrooms in my old house (I re-furbed top to bottom and think I am a competent DIYer), and I use the feather edge at all times for tiling, all angles, and the tiles are pretty flat by the end of it I think it makes all the difference to the end finish.

His tiling, even though the walls a pretty flat, he uses about 15mm of adhesive, I can literally get my fingers behind the tiles so I've lost nearly an inch in length / width, it what is a smallish bathroom.

I have decent 500x200 tiles I feel like its turned to a bodge job, not only the tiles but the trim finish and the grouting, If I say anything the guys getting pretty adjitated and then starts picking on minor issues in the bathroom I am doing and it feels like I can't question him on anything

They are someone I know which makes it awkward (not a friend but mates rates which I think was my mistake) I want to know if he's right or not about using a feather edge for tiling so I can say his tiling is just crap and it's not normal?

Sponsored Links
If the walls were fairly flat, then he certainly shouldn't be using a 15mm bed, and a 6mm notched trowel should be fine on that size tile. You are the client, and even though you're paying him mates rates, you're still entitled to a good job, so you've either got to face up to him, and say you're not happy with the job, or come up with an excuse that'll allow him to save face. He may have been doing it for 20 years, but that doesn't mean that he's any good at it.

Tell him the wifes not happy with the job, and you're got to let him go. Or tell him that she's decided she doesn't like the finish, and you're going to rip it off, and go with panels instead. Or just use any excuse you think you can get away with, without hurting his feelings too much.

I wouldn't worry about hurting his feelings he clearly hasn't got a clue what he's doing, regardless of how long he's been doing it.
If the walls are out he may need to build out the adhesive but there is no need for a 15mm bed if the wall is flat, with tiles that size. You shouldn't be able to get your fingers behind the tiles, regardless of the depth of adhesive it should be a solid bed and there's no excuse for the tiling to be so far out. Hope your not planning to fit a shower enclosure onto that if it's 20mm out of plumb.
Best practice is to straighten the wall first if it is out by a lot, if its slightly out I would lay my first course of tiles using a level to get them plumb and flat and then run the following tiles off of those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back