Is a leading edge always necessary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When hanging a door, is a leading edge on the hinge side of the door a must or is it on a door by door basis? Every guide I can see on the internet does not mention planing a leading edge.

What do you guys do?

Sponsored Links
What has made you think the hinge side requires a leading edge? All the guides you've found do not mention a leading edge so this may tell you something, are you sure you haven't got mixed up with a leading edge on the lock side, thats more often the case when swinging doors

I always plane a leading edge on both sides of the door, hinge and closing side. So much easier to get a nice even gap around the door, with no problems when it comes to closing properly. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
the leading edge is to maintain clearance because the diagonal as the door opens is 1 mm or 2mm bigger

jj, when you plane the hinge edge, which side do you make narrower?

Nice new frames I don't always bother but generally I prefer to plane the hanging side a bit as I always feel it solves any problems of binding caused by twisted frames, paint build up or even stiff hinges.

just like JJ,
if i have put the lining/frames in then no,but if orriginal then i have done in the past,sometimes helps when the frame has had about 20 coats of paint it stops it from binding on the inner edge.

Nice new frames I don't always bother but generally I prefer to plane the hanging side a bit as I always feel it solves any problems of binding caused by twisted frames, paint build up or even stiff hinges.

I always lead both edges to stop hinge bound doors and the leading edge hitting frame when closing.

Yes on new frames its not a prob but I always do it on hinge side in that case as leading edge can be tweaked when hung if it strikes!

I only ever put a leading edge on the lock side, but I always struggle getting the face plate of the lock/latch to sit flush with edge of the door because of the slight angle I have put on it! ( Really annoys me)

I only ever put a leading edge on the lock side, but I always struggle getting the face plate of the lock/latch to sit flush with edge of the door because of the slight angle I have put on it! ( Really annoys me)

then adjust the plate of the latch/lock but giving it a gentle tap with a hammer to the required angle. ;)

just for info,
do this from the back of the plate not the front to avoid marking the face.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back