Veneered door splintering on me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had some grief with this type of door, when I was chiselling out the mortise latch the side kicked out near the spindle. Never has this on the cheap panel doors. Also found the wood splintered on the edges (on top of door)from my planing. Smaller chisel for latch recess?

The edges splintered too down the sides.

Best to plane with wood at top as in picture? I forgot my large clamp and just using block plane on top splintered sides!!

Positives- with my sharper chisels all my recesses are much better around edges e.g hinge and latch recesses
20230424_112720.jpg
20230424_112844.jpg
20230424_113039.jpg
20230424_111632.jpg
20230424_110058.jpg
20230424_112720.jpg

Attachments

• 20230424_154553.jpg
    20230424_154553.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A track saw is the goto tool for shooting in doors these days.

Veneered doors are a bit of a nightmare - especially where the core is chipboard.

You will struggle trying to shoot in with a block plane.

One way to avoid break out is to run around both faces and edges with a Stanley knife first - splinters that form will stop at the knife cut.

You could run your knife cut 1mm beyond your shooting in - and then chamfer the door edge after.

Never has this on the cheap panel doors
Dare say it's because the edges are softwood with some kind of fibrous engineered wood (MDF) over; that's not going to splinter. Veneer is much easier to splinter, and you need to avoid pushing it in a direction where it has no support: don't run a plane off an edge, run it onto it so you're pushing the veneer into the door wood rather than into free air

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A track saw is the goto tool for shooting in doors these days.

Veneered doors are a bit of a nightmare - especially where the core is chipboard.

You will struggle trying to shoot in with a block plane.

One way to avoid break out is to run around both faces and edges with a Stanley knife first - splinters that form will stop at the knife cut.

You could run your knife cut 1mm beyond your shooting in - and then chamfer the door edge after.
Track saw rather than planed? Surely if the lining has a belly or all over the place running a tracksaw wouldn't work?

Regarding the lock which the side split out from my chiselled being hammered in would a smaller chisel or smaller drill have worked better?

Thxs for advice BTW

Regarding the lock which the side split out from my chiselled being hammered in would a smaller chisel or smaller drill have worked better?

Thxs for advice BTW

£120 for the Souber DBB door lock morticer

Seriously, it makes life so much easier, do 5 locks and it may have paid for itself.

Also consider buying a chisel sharpener...

£120 for the Souber DBB door lock morticer

Seriously, it makes life so much easier, do 5 locks and it may have paid for itself.

Also consider buying a chisel sharpener...
Will that prevent the sides splitting out?

Will that prevent the sides splitting out?

It will.

It accepts differing sizes of cutter. Those cutters bore in to the door edge at right angles. So long as you set the upper and lower limits, you can't go wrong. The tool auto centres on the door.

Once you have ground out the space for the lock body, you fit a cutter that is the same size as the face plate. The only time you need to use a chisel is to square the corners for the face plate. You don't need to use a chisel in the lock mortice. It really is a dream to use. The video shows you only time that you need to a chisel.

I wish I had purchased one years ago. It saves so much time.

The only downside is that you need to use a drill with 2000-3000 rpm. A cheap corded drill will often suffice. From memory it is supplied with 3 (common sized) cutters, I did purchase a 4th cutter.

When you drill into a door, especially a Veneered door, put a g clamp around the area you are drilling, this stops the door splitting.

Track saw rather than planed? Surely if the lining has a belly or all over the place running a tracksaw wouldn't work?
You are right - at least for show veneer faced doors, where only the heavy cuts (if required) are done with the saw. However, if your casing is a over the place it can be more productive to remove the architraves, straighten/sort out the jambs (especially on the hinge side), refix the archis THEN hang the door because it is risky planing-in veneered doors. That is what a PRO would do.

Regarding the lock which the side split out from my chiselled being hammered in would a smaller chisel or smaller drill have worked better?,
Knifing (scoring) the lines, then a SHARP chisel, starting with the cross grain cuts would have been the way to go. But I'm sure I've told you this before

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back