Is a noise reduction gasket really necessary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Getting close to the 2nd fix stage, which will start in the next couple of weeks after the bathroom has been tiled, assuming lockdown doesn't stop this.

I will be fitting a Duravit ME by Stark rimless wall hung toilet. I'm a little concerned about fitting the pan directly against the tiles and notice Duravit sell a noise reduction gasket, which I assume prevents the toilet from grating against the tiles, rather than reducing any noises the user of the toilet might make :)

At around £20 for what looks like a square piece of material that needs to be cut down (they can't even be bothered making it fit the specific toilet model), it would seem to be overpriced.

Is a gasket really needed? Is there anything else I could do? I was thinking a bead of silicon where the toilet meets the tile would prevent porcelain on porcelain, after all I'll probably apply silicon around the back of the toilet anyway.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's nice but not a must have.

I'm sure any closed-cell sheet material cut to size would do just as well.

Found a generic version of this noise reduction gasket on Amazon for £7. I looked at purchasing the material and making the template myself but couldn't even find the material for £7!

Sponsored Links
I've just done this and also got the £7 amazon gasket after dry fitting the pan. The foam gasket just allowed the pan to flex a little when sat on. I didn't like that at all, so removed it and binned it.

I used a clear adhesive/sealant instead. Now rock solid and evens out any point loading where the surfaces weren't perfect. Don't fancy ever getting it off though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back