Is a power flush necessary?

J

Jasonm1790

Hi all, I have been told by bg that I need a power flush on my central heating system which is a combi system approx 8 years old. I accept that there is some dirt in the system and a clean can't be a bad thing but am wondering if a power flush is necessary. The water in the system is pretty clean and I have no problems with cold rads, air ingress etc. I am about to add two new rads to the system and a fernox tf1 filter so thought I might as well do the lot in one fell swoop. I am deliberating between a power flush and a normal chemical clean, adding cleaner and letting it circulate for the required time and then draining and filling the system until clean before adding inhibitor. My question is, will the additional time and expense involved with a power flush show a marked difference in the results I can expect? Thanks for reading, I would appreciate some impartial advice.

Sponsored Links
All depends on how much crud is in the system. What reason did BG give for it being needed other than to make the cash?

A cleaner added and mains flush would be all it probably needs if you've not had any issues with cold spots, noisy boiler etc. Hard to say without seeing of course.

Hi rob thanks for the reply, bg advised the flush as I have boiler cover with them and they don't like replacing parts without telling me about the dirt in the system and the need for a flush first. As I said, I have no cold spots or circulation problems so was pondering the benefits of power flushing. I have just had the diverter valve assembly replaced and the water didn't look too bad when bg drained it down. Thanks for the advice.

I've had similar experience with BG under a service contract - "yeah mate very sludgy system, needs a powerflush" etc etc. So I cleaned with X800 and flushed, and to be fair, it was pretty mucky. Flushed all the rads individually as well. Then fitted a magnetic filter and all is well - all this on a system that is over 30 yrs old in the main, boiler about 10 yrs old and no more problems.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I would say that if the system is working fine, and no symptoms of significant sludging up then it isn't necessary. I reckon they are told to try and upsell powerflushing whenever possible.

Thanks for the input everyone, looks like x800 and a rinse it is then.

X800 needs about 4 hours of running but can be left in overnight.

Don't leave it in longer than 24 hours though.

Tony

Thanks tony, four hours with the heating on full, my missus will think its her birthday! She'll be able to take her jumpers and balaclava off for a while.think I'll wait til she's out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back