Is An Isolator In A Shower/bath Area Acceptable

Please read what the dictionary says about "good".

May I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous statement?

What you are bemoaning are extras over and above 7671!
If all that is required for "good workmanship" is adherence to the letter of every other applicable regulation, which is required anyway, then what is the point of 134.1.1?

For Christ's sake, Mike, put this to bed once and for all.

Ring the IET and ask THEM how THEY define "good workmanship" and then come back here and tell us what they said, word for word.

Because I reckon I know what they'll say.

But let's have a cease-fire until then.

Your insistence on clinging to dictionary definitions and reluctance to contact the IET to ask how they interpret the "good workmanship" clause is, frankly, pathetic.

Sponsored Links
Is this good workmanship?

6403.Seated-Woman-_2D00_-after-Picasso.jpg

I think it's crap.

Shoddy means poor quality.

This is not shoddy. As Rob says, it is work done to a certain price point, but is safe and functional nonetheless.
Safe and functional alone is not enough to qualify as good.
That's nothing to do with the issue at hand. BS7671 (aka The Wiring Regulations) is not the appropriate place to define required aesthetic standards. The purpose of BS7671, a technical Standard, is summarised in 120.1:
"This Standard contains the rules for the design and erection of electrical installations for safety and proper functioning for the intended use"

Your insistence on clinging to dictionary definitions and reluctance to contact the IET to ask how they interpret the "good workmanship" clause is, frankly, pathetic.
May I refer you to what I previously said?

I am quite happy with the wording of 134.1.1, and what the word "good" really means.

It is for those who do not believe, or do not want, 134.1.1 to mean that work must comply with what in common parlance can be described as "good" to contact the IET and ask them to confirm that their contrary view is indeed what the IET want.

Sponsored Links
So, to go back to my hypothetical job in the tiled kitchen.

Please list the bad workmanship.

Fantastic job ! When you are being electrocuted in shower you can at reach the isolator very quickly :LOL:

How many people have been elrctrocuted by a piece of wet string?

By page 2, it had been established that this doesn't necessarily have any safety issue. The following 7 pages just went over the workmanship.

How many people have been elrctrocuted by a piece of wet string? ... By page 2, it had been established that this doesn't necessarily have any safety issue. The following 7 pages just went over the workmanship.
Unfortunately, most of us don't need to be told that :)

Kind Regards, John

So, to go back to my hypothetical job in the tiled kitchen.

Please list the bad workmanship.

Ban, you keep banging on about "good workmanship".

Please tell me what you consider constitutes bad workmanship in the above scenario.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back