Is this legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy's

we have been asked to supply some exttraction to a bathroom and kitchen. We know this is Part P and hence won't be doing the electrics ourselves. However our sparks is away on hols and I would like an opinion on the current setup.

I have only seen the pictures but it looks pretty shoddy + this didn't look 'legal' to me as it is fed off the downstairs shower room and situated in the upstairs bathroom.

I can't see any form of isolation either. Is that acceptable?

Can anyone give an opinion on this..

cheers

Richard
View media item 21132 View media item 21131 View media item 21138

Sponsored Links
132.12 Accessibility of electrical equipment
Electrical equipment shall be arranged so as to afford as may be necessary:
(i) Sufficient space for the initial installation and later replacement of individual items of electrical equipment
(ii) accessibility for operation, inspection, testing, fault detection, maintenance and repair.
537.4.2.5 The means of operation shall be readily accessible at places where a danger might occur and, where appropriate, at any additional remote position from which that danger can be removed.

I would not think any isolation switch should be where a cooker fire would prevent access.

Like Eric says having the CU above the cooker is just completely stupid!!!

The extraction under the bath is very poorly done, tell us, did you have to use a tool to access under the bath??

Just looked again that looks like a ELCBv which have been outlawed for many years. Somewhere around the 1985 time I think I know when I returned to UK in 1989 they were banned.

Sponsored Links
Like Eric says having the CU above the cooker is just completely stupid!!!

The extraction under the bath is very poorly done, tell us, did you have to use a tool to access under the bath??

I don't know as I did not go to site. The salesgirl will tell me tomorrow.

Should there be a insolator by the fan and would you consider this safe for an electrical unit in a such a place?

Just looked again that looks like a ELCBv which have been outlawed for many years. Somewhere around the 1985 time I think I know when I returned to UK in 1989 they were banned.

Added a closer look at the unit hopefully this will help clarify ?

132.12 Accessibility of electrical equipment
Electrical equipment shall be arranged so as to afford as may be necessary:
(i) Sufficient space for the initial installation and later replacement of individual items of electrical equipment
(ii) accessibility for operation, inspection, testing, fault detection, maintenance and repair.
537.4.2.5 The means of operation shall be readily accessible at places where a danger might occur and, where appropriate, at any additional remote position from which that danger can be removed.

I would not think any isolation switch should be where a cooker fire would prevent access.

Does the above make it illegal or just a rough job?

Well illegal, not as such, just not a 'good' idea the electrician who signed this off would have serious problems arguing his case in court if something went wrong and the power could not be isolated.

We need a pic in focus close up on the labels of the suspect ELCB please

The ELCB is fine. It's current operated (or the ones I have seen that look the same were).

Nice spur with two permanently connected pieces of equipment, a sideways mounted double gang patress and insulation cut back too much.

Looks very "DIY kitchen fitter" to me :LOL:

The ELCB is fine. It's current operated (or the ones I have seen that look the same were).

It looks like a Wylex RCD, typical 1980's. You will always be able to tell a voltage-operated ELCB from the earth cables running to it.

Finally got hold of the customer and told what for.. her reply to the consumer unit being over the cooker was that they had another one in another part of the house (originally two semi's apparently)

So after we told her that judging by the look of her place there would be a lot of remedials by our electrician before we fitted the new fans she said "Err we'll get back to you"

So we won't hear from them again! :LOL:

Thanks for the input

Cheers

Richard

Hi guy's

we have been asked to supply some exttraction to a bathroom and kitchen. We know this is Part P and hence won't be doing the electrics ourselves.

All electical work in a domestic dwelling needs to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations though only some of it is notifiable.

The work you talk of is notifiable.

It's not an ELCB.

It is a well made RCD (or RCCB as they where commonly known then) - I wish they still made them that well. I am pretty sure it is a Wylex.

It's not an ELCB.

It is a well made RCD (or RCCB as they where commonly known then)

An RCCB/RCD is an ELCB (of the current-operated type). They just decided to change the terminology, but it's the same thing (albeit that lower currents are now the norm).

I wish they still made them that well. I am pretty sure it is a Wylex.

Definitely Wylex, and certainly better than some of the newer ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back