electric shower local isolation

I see no reason why one accessible switch cannot serve both functions.
It can, but most shower isolators sold do not qualify as emergency switches.

Also, unless you delight in inconsistent and illogical "thinking", if you believe that a shower needs an emergency switch then you must also believe that so does a tumble drier, a microwave, a kettle, a fan heater....

Sponsored Links
OK B.A.S.

It is sensible in my opinion and experience to have a means to remove power supply from an appliance when due to some abnormal situation the normal means to turn the machine off cannot be used.

To the user the situation may appear to be an emergency, so a switch that can turn off the power in an "emergency" may be beneficial. This switch does not need to be constructed in the same way as an industrial emergency switch is constructed. It does not need to be latching OFF and then require a reset procedure to be followed ( mechanically un-latching it ) before it can be turned ON again.

So it is not an emergency switch as such but it is a switch that can be used in an emergency.

OK - so where, and what kind of emergency switch would you have for a tumble drier, a microwave, a kettle, a fan heater....?

Sponsored Links
OK B.A.S. It is sensible in my opinion and experience to have a means to remove power supply from an appliance when due to some abnormal situation the normal means to turn the machine off cannot be used. ... To the user the situation may appear to be an emergency, so a switch that can turn off the power in an "emergency" may be beneficial. ... So it is not an emergency switch as such but it is a switch that can be used in an emergency.
I agree with that, but would make my usual point that I personally do not think that such a switch should be 'too local' to the appliance it feeds, since in 'emergencies' it may not be possible or sensible/safe to get too near to the appliance.

Once one has moved the switch away from the appliance, at least in some situations the CU will be close enough (and arranged suitably enough) to serve the purpose (which is always going to be a purpose which will very rarely need to be invoked).

Kind Regards, John

On the evidence of posts on this forum (which of course will be very unrepresentative of the country as a whole) there's more of a fire risk from shower switches than from showers themselves.

On the evidence of posts on this forum (which of course will be very unrepresentative of the country as a whole) there's more of a fire risk from shower switches than from showers themselves.
That's a very valid point. One always has to balance the benefits of adding a 'safety measure' against whatever hazards that 'safety measure' itself may introduce - particularly if it is an 'arguably unnecessary safety measure'.

Kind Regards, John

I though the local isolator was only required for rotating equipment with a motor over a set size? So yes tumble drier, washing machine, food mixers may need a local isolator but not the shower.

Isolators for my shower is under the bath although not for the electric only for the water. There is no electric supply to my shower.

No requirement for a local isolator, just a means of isolation, and if it's not local then it must be lockable.

An acquaintance of mine has a red mushroom punch switch by his kitchen door that cuts all the power to the kitchen ( other than the lights ). It trips the RCD supplying the kitchen by connecting a resistor between Live and Earth.

This was fitted after a washing machine on spin went into over speed when the motor control PCB went faulty. The machine was moving around and his wife was too scared to even try and switch it off. She did turn off the main switch in the consumer unit but was then in darkness.

manufacturers instructions usually (always?) require an isolation switch to be fitted

eg triton:

"A 45 amp double pole isolating switch with
a minimum contact gap of 3
mm in both
poles must be incorporated in the circuit.
It must have a mechanical indicator
showing when the switch is in the OFF
position.
The wiring must be connected to that
switch without the use of a plug or socket
outlet.
The switch must be readily accessible and
clearly identifiable, but out of reach of a
person using a fixed bath or shower.
If the isolating switch is to be fitted in the
bathroom, then it must be a cord operated
type and should be placed so that it is not
possible to touch the switch body when
standing in a bath or shower cubicle.
Preferably it should be outside the shower
enclosure and be readily accessible in order
to switch off after using the shower."

manufacturers instructions usually (always?) require an isolation switch to be fitted ...
The current degree of impact of MIs on electricians' practices has probably got only a few more months to run!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back