Is B-I-N the answer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

I'm having some trouble with bubbling and flaking paint underneath a radiator (and by the valves) in my front room. The wall is internal and was skimmed around a year and a half ago. It was given 2 mist coats, and then 2 coats of Dulux Trade Diamond.

It's frustrating as since decorating I've had to touch this area up a few times in different places due to small patches of flaking (only below radiator or by the valves) - Only for another new area to appear close by x months later.

When the flaking happens it's back to bare plaster, which suggests the mist didn't work. The mist was also done without the radiator fitted so shouldn't have been impacted by heat in the early stages. Also, there is no evidence of a damp problem.

I've had enough of touching up and running low on paint (mixed colour) so I need to try and fix this more long term.

My plan:

1. Scrape off the loose paint I can in the offending area,

2. Use a mouse power sander with a medium grit (the Dulux Diamond is impossible to hand sand) to level out.

3. Apply Zinsser BIN to the whole area (even the paint that was sound)

4. Re emulsion.

Questions:

- Is this a good approach?

- Will the BIN be effective over the currently sound paint and stop it from future flaking? I have no idea how BIN works, does it sit on top or penetrate existing surfaces.

Any feedback or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Use Zinsser Gardz instead of the bin after it has been rubbed down thoroughly, then back on with your chosen finish, may need a couple of coats to make it solid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back