Is bath gurgling EVER correct?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had brand new bathroom and brand new plumbing system installed as part of full house refurb.

When the bath drains, it gurgles loudly. The plumber assured me this was normal and is a sign that the pipes are running nicely and there was nothing he needed to do. The contractor said it gurgles in his house too.

Is this correct? Is bath gurgling ever the sign of a well running system?

I always understood it meant there is an air pocket for some reason whether blockage or air getting in somehow. (a) Pls can someone clarify. and (b) Is it something I can rectify myself with a plunger or requires more intrusive remedies?

Thx

Sponsored Links
Does it only gurgle when the last dregs of water are disappearing down the plug hole ?

Sponsored Links
I'm sure others will correct me, but I was told it doesn't matter because the shallow fall of a bath, combined with its large surface area, means that the last drips of water will refill the trap.
Works for me.

Another cause of "gurgling" can at times be [so called] back syphonage, where the draining water fills the pipe waste, if there is a long length of drain pipe work that [if you will] plug of water causes a partial vacuum up stream and can occasion the bath waste to be sucked away result is a "gurgling" sound.

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back