Is builder being unreasonable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
6 weeks ago, I discovered that my builder had charged me £7,500 to install my CH system very very poorly. ( //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=247526&highlight= ) After 6 weeks of negotiation (!), he finally agreed to pay for the rectification work I had done by a qualified heating engineer – total comes to £589.

Now, however, before he makes payment, he insists that I confirm in writing to regard this payment as ‘full and final payment in respect of all the plumbing work at your house’.

I suspect the reason for this wording is that I have also notified him of other necessary plumbing jobs (E.g. leak in CH system, faulty shower mixer, leaky sinks, sink plumbed wrong way) but these have not yet been carried out - and he wishes to absolve himself of responsibility for them.

In my opinion this is an outrageous request so I have responded that I can only regard it as ‘full and final payment in respect of the work detailed on the invoice.’

Can anyone offer any further advice?

Sponsored Links
i would restrict it to the work done by the second plumber only unless the second plumber checked and cleared all his other work

Its normal to use that kind of wording but you should only agree it in respect of the remedial works done so far and the items that covered.

It sounds a high cost for a boiler and radiators but perhaps you live in a castle.

I always encourage owners NOT to get heating work done by builders.

Tony

but you should only agree it in respect of the remedial works done so far and the items that covered.

Thanks - as I had thought.
It sounds a high cost for a boiler and radiators but perhaps you live in a castle.

I always encourage owners NOT to get heating work done by builders.

Tony

How I wish I'd seen your encouragement before I started! Not a castle, so yes, quite badly overcharged.

Sponsored Links
You cant say/think you have been over charged, no one on here has seen your job.

You will choose the best installer you can find.

The builder will find the cheapest and still charge you more than the best directly!

Tony

You will choose the best installer you can find.

The builder will find the cheapest and still charge you more than the best directly!

Tony

My thoughts exactly.
That is why, I am extremely reluctant to use a contractor for the remaining jobs that have not been finished.

In fact, of the 3 quotes I got for rectifying my CH system, one was almost double the one I took, and quoted for half the work ... it was a contractor :rolleyes: ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back