Relationship broken down with builder - am I being unreasonable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Quick question - I am having some work done in my house.
Building Inspector came out last week and said he wasn't 100% happy and requested some other work doing as per engineers calculations.

Builder was fine and did this work no issues. He took photographs, submitted these to the BI then carried on with the work. Plasterboard up and skimmed the walls.

Job has now finished and he is requesting payment. I paid 50% of the total before he even started and I am now suggesting I pay a further 25% as he has finished, but withhold the final 25% until the building inspector is happy with the work. Builder put up the plasterboard and skimmed before getting final approval.

So question to the professional builders on here. If you were my builder would be unhappy for your customer to withhold 25% until all is approved?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Genuine question, if you're confident in your work, why would 25% bother you?

If you'd built a small extension for someone and quoted - say - £16K for the whole job, would you want to wait
for an indeterminate period for your remaining £4K?.
How much profit do you think builders make?

It was only a small job. 25% was £375

Builder was not happy about anything being withheld and insisted on full payment.

It was only a small job. 25% was £375

Builder was not happy about anything being withheld and insisted on full payment.

So £1500?
We don't know his outlay, but regardless, 25% as a proportion is still too much.

For a small job, there is perhaps even more incentive for the builder to insist on no - or minimal - retention.
Chasing customers up for (potentially) delayed payments takes time, regardless of the amount.

Have you been chasing up the inspector for the certificate? - it would not be fair to sit back
and leave matters between the builder and council.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back