Is Copper Earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Forum,

Just a basic question, I have some electrics being carried out and I wanted to verify that the attached picture, the live, neutral are clear. And if the copper is the earth connection?

Usually I would expect a yellow cable.

This is for a gas hob with an electrical igniter.

View media item 76513
Thank you

Regards
Mark
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Looks like 6mm² twin and earth. Brown=line, blue=neutral and single strand copper = Circuit Protective Conductor (Earth to you) which should be over sleeved in green and yellow sleeving.

Regards

To add to what Thripster said, for your information, 'flexible cables' (like the 'leads' connected to all your appliances etc.) have brown and blue (used to be red and black) insulated conductors (wires) for line ('live') and neutral respectively and a yellow/green insulated conductor for CPC ('earth').

Flat ('twin and earth') house wiring cables have the same colours for line and neutral, but have a bare copper conductor for CPC/earth.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I am interested why the ends are taped up? Hope it has not been left live, without being safely terminated and enclosed!

Thanks again. Electrician has confirmed all in place. and yes the RCDs are not yet in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back