Is council consent needed for rewiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a flat in listed building. I wish to have the property rewired with a new consumer board. Should I obtain consent from the local council?

Sponsored Links
Before you start, you also need to advise the LABC that notifiable electrical works will be taking place, pay their fee and be prepared, at various stages, to show that the works comply with BS7671. At the end you will need to test and provide documentation to prove that the notifiable works meet the requirements of BS7671.

So you'll need to know all about the wiring regulations and have access to, and the knowledge to use, the various pieces of test equipment.
Do you have calibrated test equipment to carry out continuity, insulation resistance and RCD tests?

If the answer to the above is no (or I don't know) then you'll need to engage a registered electrician to carry out the work.

TTC

I didn't get the impression from the OP he was planning on doing it himself, rather whether or not he needed to get permission before arranging the work

Sponsored Links
With listed buildings much depends on why it is listed. The use of mineral insulated cable is often required for properties with high fire risk and where hiding the cables is a problem but until you ask you will not know.

I have been surprised many times where it was permitted to completely renew stair case but not remove the trip hazard where the floor was uneven.

In Wales RCAHMW do the work not sure who does it in England but they can and do override the local authority and since they don't charge they would be first to ask. There may even be money available to safe guard listed buildings.

Unfortunately much is down to the person who visits I know my daughter was rather inflexible when she worked for RCAHMW and think people were lucky when one of the others visited.

The idea of like for like does not work with listed. Often there is an order if work is done then must be upgraded this includes the use of mineral insulated cable. However the officers can be open to suggestion, and I would try to get Ali-tube accepted as an alternative to mineral.

The use of mineral insulated cable is often required for properties with high fire risk
but check the current rating to ensure the cable does not run hot before the MCB operates. I recall that in "normal" use the acceptable current rating allows the cable to get quite hot. In thatched buildings where there is no alternative to wiring in loft space then the current rating of mineral has to be reduced.

but not remove the trip hazard where the floor was uneven.
and not remove floor boards that cannot take the weight of a person standing on them.

The idea of like for like does not work
it does if the building control officer has his or her way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back