Rewire through plaster boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will all plaster boards have to be removed to rewire?
I'm have new consumer unit in to replace old fuse box Been told it may require full or partial rewire.

Sponsored Links
Yes plastered over few years ago. Don't mind bits being cut out just don't fancy having them all off.

Sponsored Links
We (tradesmen with experience) do tend to be experts at repairing the plasterboard afterwards to a broadly reasonable standard too so I`d normally expect it. Naturally any wallpaper will need repapering and painted walls repainting but the actual boards end up with not much evidence of a rewire

Buy yourself a Multitool DeWalt or Makita and use that to cut holes to run cables. Some cut circular holes but I normally cut square or rectangular at 45 degree angles into the board and the off cuts can easily be stuck back into place with minimal "making good" If it's PVC T&E shouldn't need rewiring if it tests ok.

Are the back boxes the Plasterboard plastic type? They can easily be pulled out and in some cases use the old cable as a draw.

Yep the 45 degrees cut is best if available as it makes the offcut sit just below the original for a final lick of plaster and hey good as new, almost. but nil desperandum if you have another size/shape hole. it is not that difficult to cut a bridging piece from an old offcut or new board and then apply plaster or adhesive behind it before you lightly fix the bridge in. Once the bridge has set you remove any fixing screws etc then either plaster the cavity/chase/hole to the original board and can even put small strips of offcuts to reduce amount of plaster needed. I can end up quite neat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back