Is Gloworm the worst

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Manufacturer in the country? Or is just my perception that their boilers are crap and their backup, technical and overall setup absolutely appalling

Sponsored Links
No, Baxi/potty get that title with the 105e and Suprima the worse boilers ever made

I love the 80 /105, nothing difficult to work on at all.

Sponsored Links
The worst boiler was the Sauniur Duval 820 and their bad tech help was charged at a premium rate of 50p per minute.

I tell this to everyone but they have never apologised or even bothered to speak to me.

Once I met an S-D rep and asked why he wasted to work for a firm with such a bad reputation! He replied that he fancied a challenge! However the number of boilers he had sold would not justify a flea's salary!

Tony

No, Baxi/potty get that title with the 105e and Suprima the worse boilers ever made
:rolleyes: Poppycock :rolleyes: Both fixable and parts available, although the 5111603 pcb is expensive they aren't that bad. Most faults are well known
The worst boiler was the Saunier Duval 820
Tony I think you may have the Rsf 820/20 confused with the SD 623
It took me a long time to get used to changing those flow switch diaphragms and all the other major parts were £120+VAT trade. You could buy lots more hotdogs with that money then than you can now! Its surprising how many 623's I still find actually working and how many of those have a bucket under them to catch the drip from the pressure gauge tube 'o'ring.
A Cràp boiler IMO is one that cant be fixed easily and cheaply leaving people in the cold. Jaguars and Protherms are an example. What's the point of getting these eastern european boilers when we have to wait weeks for the spares to arrive from the Czech republic or wherever when they go wrong?
Glow worm who deal with their parts supplies don't seem to care much. I thought that this was because they dont have a Glow Worm badge but now I realise its because Glow Worm are poo

Slugbabydotcom";p="820473 said:
:rolleyes: Poppycock :rolleyes: Both fixable and parts available, although the 5111603 pcb is expensive they aren't that bad. Most faults are well known

Which is just as well the number of times they break down, and you said it all about the PCBs, A money spinner for both boilers.

WHat's actually WRONG with gw's?
Granted they had splitting water section and dribblin disconnector, but both changed now.
Otherwise they seem pretty typical.

I lerve pottertons. Wonderful things. Wouldn't have one but they're great for earning off.

WHat's actually WRONG with gw's?

Well I have got a customer with a 30cxi who have it in their loft. In 2 years they have had the living room ceiling collapse 3 times, hydroblock, pump block and filling loop. They aren't big glow worm fans.

Tony I think you may have the Rsf 820/20 confused with the SD 623

I am sorry it was a mistype, should have read SD 620/623 !

The Ravenheat are quite repairable.

So are the Protherm, Icon and Jaguar. In fact I like those models and enjoy repairing them! Same with Heatline.

That said I mean when its a genuine boiler fault ( which is rare ) and not just being full of dirt following an unregistered installation. I dont think that I have EVER knowingly been to one of those fitted by a CORGI !

Tony

Any current Ideal must take the trophy :eek:

agreed, anythin after the classic is rubish includin that daft kit they use to slap on the top of it! mind you i dnt like the old myson midas, that for me wud deff be one of the worse!

I have an Icon boiler and it is by no means the best around, infact I've read many bad reviews of Icon. However, after a comment from a boiler engineer, apparently you often find 'cheaper' rebaged models are made from similar components found in more mainstream systems.

I therefore would be more inclined to judge whether a boiler is a bad boiler based on how available the parts are and the tech support, because lets face it, every boiler will break down at some stage.

ideal isar or icos,not brilliant.
ideal technical excellent.
ideal spares no problem.

but look on the bright side of life,more unreliable boilers here in uk=more work for you lot.
so better quality of life and all that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back