Is GP Sand the same as Building Sand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is building sand the same as GP General Purpose Sand? This will be used for mixing mortar for a block wall.

The builders merchants stock either GP (more gritty) or Plastering sand (smooth) in stock.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
According to the British Standards Institute there are two types of sand "Soft" and "sharp". I have forgotten the numbers but I think is BS 1200 and 1201. Virtually no one stocks these, though restoration mortar suppliers claim to use them in their mixes. Mixing sands from different sources?.
Merchants use different names and quality sands to confuse the unitiated, so the best thing to do is to try some out , beware some sands are the colour of custard. I prefer silver coloured sand.
Frank

Sharp sand gives a stronger mix but is a pain to use as it doesn't hold water so well. You will probably need an additive. Soft sand is much easier but the joints can look a bit too smooth. Some soft sands can be very soapy! Overall it depends where the sand came from so impossible to be precise. For stonework, where the look of the joints are more important, a lot of builders mix the two to get a balance. In your case I'd try soft sand first and see how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back