Is it a faulty TRV?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I very rarely have the radiator in my bedroom turned up very high. It's normally on about 2 or 3, but the other night, it was really cold, so I turned it up full. Now the bloomin thing won't turn down. It will turn off, but it seems to just be either full heat or no heat.

Is it a faulty TRV?

The same thing happened last winter as well. Turned it up full once and then couldn't get it to turn off at all. The TRV was replaced at that time.

I'm either dying of heat exhaustion or freezing!

Sponsored Links
Erm, must confess, I haven't checked. I'm always frightened I undo the wrong thing and flood the place.

I will have a look and report back.

full or nothing is correct operation
it turns the radiator off when up to temperature and on when it drops below

unless your saying it only operates at the extremes eg fuly on and fully off

Sponsored Links
But it's going to full boiling hot heat when it's only on 2 or 3 and isn't going off to cool down - it's just staying really hot all the time (or am I being dense and missing the point here?)

My other rads will cool down when they reach the relevent temperature, then heat up again when the room gets cool - this one just isn't doing that.

they are desighned to give ful heat the only time they give less than full heat is whilst the water cooles down in the radiator

turning it down to half [3] dosnt give you half heat

so your idea is spot on may just be a bit sticky

remove the top and press the the valve "button"several times and hopfully will clear its self

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back