Is it all going a bit too far???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Health and Safety, Regulations, qualifications,registration etc etc etc.

Now i'm not an electrician/plumber/heating engineer or any of those, but i do have a modicum of common sense, and as such am finding it increasingly frustrating that should i want to extend a ring circuit in my own home I have to jump through hoops to then pay someone to do exactly what i was going to do.

Aren't all these regulations/laws getting rid of the whole natural selection process which has been going on since time began, slowest and weakest got eaten, has progressed to most stupid and likely to contribute nothing to the gene pool get electrocuted/blown up/drowned??

I do see the argument for traceability, in that someone will in the future buy my house, and work i have done may or may not be up to the required standard, but i am capable of reading, i know that aformentioned ring main, must generally travel in a horizontal or vertical axis from the device which it is feeding, and that any connecting devices must be easy to access.

To be honest the 16th edition has been getting right on my nerves recently, i thought it was guidance, but my company seems to be taking it as gospel, and now i have a 42U rack which some clever chap on a higher pay scale want's earth straps running to every panel. Now i wouldn't have a problem with this normally, but it's supposed to be a quick build easy access rack, or it will be if you don't connect earths to every panel, which have to be at a specific torque, which when you remove the panel have to be taken off to remove the trip hazard only to be re connected and re torqued once you have replaced the Cat 5 cable a job which should have taken 30 seconds is now up to 10 minutes of dicking about. And it's no for my benefit, all i can see it being for is the monkey who tries to connect the rack to a power source and then sticks his tongue on it, and if he is going to do that, surely it's no great loss really.

Am i alone in thinking that we are spending far too much time, effort and money on protecting idiots from themselves???

Sponsored Links
Health and Safety, Regulations, qualifications,registration etc etc etc.

Am i alone in thinking that we are spending far too much time, effort and money on protecting idiots from themselves???

Nope, it is all getting stupid. Last week at work we had an email sent around, with a full page PDF attachment, to teach us all how to go up and down stairs. I kid you not.

i agree, i recently had a new combi boiler fitted, but a really good plumber, but the electrician he employed left exposed wires all over.. in the loft in walls etc.... very poor standards !

Well said. All we're doing is denying Darwin his right to have his theory proven correct, idiots should be allowed to be idiots if only for the purpose of removing their defective DNA from the collective gene pool, thus promoting the survival prospects of the rest of the species.

Let 'em die stupid deaths, it's only fair. :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Around our area, the local councils have bought some of those 'Smilie Signs' which are hung on lamposts and display your speed as you approach them and if you are doing 30 or less it smiles and if you are doing 30+ it scowls at you. They were moved form area to area about every fortnight and they seem to have had the desired effect.
They suddenly stopped being used and the reason is that the County Council insisted that the men who moved them around and climbed a step ladder to hook them onto the lampost and clamp them on, must now have training in climbing a step ladder before the signs can reappear to continue to help to save lives.
Elf 'n' safety. I ask you!

As the idiot died from his own stupidity his last words were

""I don't understand it, they told me it was safe""

Hi

Unfortunately the idiots don't always take themselves out , some innocent bystander gets topped.
Now if you could find a way to stop them breeding?...............

Thanet.
PS
We had to be towed from Norfolk to home a few weeks back. Driver does police work, told us that if the police car gets a flat tyre they have to call someone out to change it. Can't be too careful now can we? :rolleyes:

Well said. All we're doing is denying Darwin his right to have his theory proven correct, idiots should be allowed to be idiots if only for the purpose of removing their defective DNA from the collective gene pool, thus promoting the survival prospects of the rest of the species.

Let 'em die stupid deaths, it's only fair. :LOL: :LOL:

And here you will find some great examples :LOL: :LOL:

http://www.darwinawards.com/

It's why forums such as this exist. ;)

Despite daft money-spinning legislation people will DIY their own installations (for many reasons and not always cost) and good luck to them I say.

Good legislation would provide a framework whereby this practice is accepted, supported and made safe.

Prohibition will never be the answer in my lifetime.

Long live diynot.com :LOL:

MW

Hi
Unfortunately the idiots don't always take themselves out , some innocent bystander gets topped. Now if you could find a way to stop them breeding?...............

Sadly that is the only activity where stupid behaviour is productive.....

....must now have training in climbing a step ladder before the signs can reappear to continue to help to save lives.
Yep the Working At Height Regulations at work there. I've had some our our lads on the safe use of steps and ladders course a few months back. It's not a long course and only costs £50.
You also need to have someone to inspect the ladders annually - meaning I had to do the ladder inspection course. Common sense stuff really, but how often do you properly check your ladders?

....must now have training in climbing a step ladder before the signs can reappear to continue to help to save lives.
Yep the Working At Height Regulations at work there. I've had some our our lads on the safe use of steps and ladders course a few months back. It's not a long course and only costs £50.
You also need to have someone to inspect the ladders annually - meaning I had to do the ladder inspection course. Common sense stuff really, but how often do you properly check your ladders?

Had to fill out some paperwork regarding safe working method statements recently, when they asked for my standard working height, I put in 6foot 2inch - they were not amused. :oops:

I agree a lot of what H&S are up to is useful to remind us of how dangerous our "industry" (ie construction is) but sometimes you just have to laugh at it.

On a lot of sites I can't use a radio - just in case I don't hear an alarm call - but nobody has stopped me using my router, when thats kicking out 2kW at 23,000 rpm I can't hear a damn thing. :LOL: :LOL:

Why knock H&S unless you are an employer, it's the only protection an employee has these days to stop an employer trying to force them to do dangerous or hazardous tasks like used to happen pre factories act days.

You truly find out how good an employer is towards you when you are crippled and in a wheelchair.

Then after work, they go home on the dangerous roads,many light up their fags,use drugs,abuse alchohol,etc,etc.Dangerous and hazardous tasks at work. Huh. The only time they are safe it seems to me is when they ARE at work. Once people are back at home, anything goes more or less.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Back