Passwords, logins, usernames, memorable information

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cannot be the only one to be confused by these and which is actually which, as the names for them can be so very similar?

On Sunday morn, having lost my connection to the Internet, I had to ring Plusnet. Despite ringing on my mobile number, which is subscribed via PN, they initially refused to even look at my connection issue, unless I could provide one of the correct details. I had the details filed on paper somewhere, but even than would have been struggling to work out which particular detail they were asking for, there are so very many - router login usernames, login passwords for the internet connection, username and password to login to the the router itself, email username and password. I have the same problem on those rare occasions when I need to ring one of my banks, long lists of details, but which is which and which particular detail do they want to know?

Wouldn't life be so much easier, if instead of using so many confusing names for these multiple details, they simply numbered them item 1, 2, 3 etc..

I was not able to satisfy Plusnet's operator, they have strict data protection rules to obey, so in the end had to ask for a manager to ring me back to get things sorted out. I don't know what a failed Internet connection had to do with the DPA, but I was able to satisfy their manager sufficiently to get things moving.

Sponsored Links
If they acknowledge that a person named Harry Bloomfield lives somewhere and subscribes to their services then that's personal data they are leaking. If you were actually a stalker hounding the real Harry then you can cause mischief.

It's easier and safer for a company to say nothing.

If they acknowledge that a person named Harry Bloomfield lives somewhere and subscribes to their services then that's personal data they are leaking. If you were actually a stalker hounding the real Harry then you can cause mischief.,

It was only an internet connection I was reporting to be down and asking for help to fix it. Having possession alongside me, of both the mobile phone and landline phone, plus access to the router, ought to have been enough. As said, I was concerned about all of the separate, but similarly named items of data, which they can ask for, simply to verify I am me.

Nat West is one of the worst in this respect, with seven separate items of data they might ask for, each needing me to try to translate which particular item they are seeking from my list.

IT Minion is correct. To you it may be un important information. However, "hello mr Bloomfield, my name is John Smith [not my real name] from plus net [actually scam central inc in Bangalore], we think a hacker has got on to your computer [or is about to] via your plus net account which is causing it to send out a virus to your email contacts. We need you to install a scanner [but really its remote control software] so that we can fix it [by that we mean encrypt all your files and hold you to ransom]".

I've had elderly relatives fall for this.

One option for remembering this is to store a contact on your phone with memorable hints for each password in the notes

e.g. if the password is !fido251006 then you write ![petname][DOBddmmyy] or ?scorpion51 ?[exwifenikname][houseno]

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've had elderly relatives fall for this.

I never fall for such callers, besides which, I rang them. My main issue and the point I was trying to make - was the confusion over how to differentiate usernames + passwords, and which of the many I had for Plusnet, were the ones they needed from me, to confirm who I was.

Plusnet is particularly problematic in this respect, because the router needs a U + P to login to it, router then needs U +P to log into the broadband, I need another U+P to log into my broadband account, yet another to log into my mobile account with them, then a U + P to log into their forum.

Keep a book, and meticulously write all passwords/usernames/security questions, relevant to each service.

Safer than saving on line, never heard of a burglar stealing a book.

Back