Internet Banking

Sponsored Links
Tell me where the branch is
I would but if I ring up your bank they won't give me any of your details... strange that!

If only I had a...

crystal-ball.jpg

If you could just tell me your sort code and account number, I will tranfer your monies to the royal bank of nigeria

fonejacker.jpg

I went to an internet bank but tripped over the log-in there

Sponsored Links
I was only trying to move money to get below the £35k in the other bank.
By the time this is resolved the banks will be gone or the curent problems resolved.
I am 1 of millions moving money

dont forget its £35.000 per banking licence
you need to check that you havent got money in 2 banks under the same banking license

you can have several banks in the same group under the one licence so only one 35k

you can get several banks that also look unconnected that are under the same licence so best to check!!!!

examples from martin lewis "money saving experts" web site

"Savings safety update: B&B, joint accounts and Nationwide merger news. What a week: turmoil in the US and Bradford & Bingley nationalised. Understandably, my mailbag’s again jammed by scared savers asking questions. Yet remember B&B is proof the Govt's determined to bail out banks in trouble.

The £35,000 protection golden rule. For all bank & building society deposit accounts, eg savings, cash ISAs, fixed savings, in the unlikely event a bank goes bust, £35,000 per person, per institution (either an individual bank or a banking group) is guaranteed. While the PM plans to raise it to £50,000, that ISN’T law yet. So if you’ve over £35,000, spreading savings helps mitigate any risk.

Bradford & Bingley savings accounts. B&B’s savings wing is now part of the Abbey, which, along with Alliance & Leicester, is owned by Spanish Bank Santander. If you’ve money in B&B and Abbey, you’re only protected up to a total of £35,000. A&L has a separate licence, meaning it has a separate £35,000 protection.
* Joint accounts count as half each. Money in a joint account, eg £50,000, counts as if each individual had half, ie £25,000, saved, for savings safety rules.

So imagine Irma Prudent had a £60,000 joint account with husband Pete, as well as £10,000 of her own in Riskybank. In the unlikely event Riskybank went bust, it counts as her having £40,000 there (£30,000 + £10,000), so she’d lose £5,000. The couple would've been better off with all the money in the joint account or £35,000 each in two separate accounts.
* Nationwide, Derbyshire and Cheshire Building Society mergers. Nationwide will take over the other two societies by December. At that point, it says it's likely all three will be moved to the same FSA licence, thus they’ll count as one institution, so savers will be covered up to £35,000 in total.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Big All...Thanks..but aware of that..
If I only I didnt have any money :LOL:

Don't see a problem, no British bank will ever be allowed to go bankrupt, without being bailed out by the government or another bank.

Its people who panic over nothing, who cause most of the problems.

That's not entirely true.

If the rules say "you will receive compensation of up to £35,000 of your lost money"

then

(1) if you have more than £35,000 in a single group under a single authorisation, you're entitled to panic

(2) if you aren't satisfied with being told that you'll get your compensation at some vague and undefined date in the future, you're entitled to panic.

(3) If you have an Investment (e.g. unit trusts or stocks and shares) account, then, above a limit, you only get compensation of 90% of your losses. So if you don't want to lose 10% of your nest egg or your pension fund, you're entitled to panic. Would you fail to panic if you thought you might lose 10% of your pension?

Prior to Oct '97, if you had £35,000 or more in a UK bank, you were only guaranteed to get £31,700 back. If you stood to lose £2,300 or more, wouldn't you panic?

If the punters aren't supposed to panic, they need a better guarantee.

The media are blowing things out of all proportion on this one as usual. Panic mongers the lot of them.

The media are blowing things out of all proportion on this one as usual. Panic mongers the lot of them.
Then why is it the government feels the need to raise the guarantee up to £50k a single depositor or £100k or a joint account?

(1) if you have more than £35,000 in a single group under a single authorisation, you're entitled to panic.
I repeat, no british bank has ever gone bust, nor will be allowed to do so.
(2) if you aren't satisfied with being told that you'll get your compensation at some vague and undefined date in the future, you're entitled to panic.
See above.
(3) If you have an Investment (e.g. unit trusts or stocks and shares) account, then, above a limit, you only get compensation of 90% of your losses. So if you don't want to lose 10% of your nest egg or your pension fund, you're entitled to panic. Would you fail to panic if you thought you might lose 10% of your pension?.
You have already lost more than 10% of your pension/stocks/shares, due to the fall in stockmarket prices. Are you panicking now?
Prior to Oct '97, if you had £35,000 or more in a UK bank, you were only guaranteed to get £31,700 back. If you stood to lose £2,300 or more, wouldn't you panic?
If you have a reasonable pension pot, or lets say £20,000 or more of stocks and shares, you have already lost more than £2,300, are you panicking now?

Pure and simply, if, and I say if, it ever got to the state where Banks did start to fail with no bailout, the knock on effect would be so catastrophic, any guarantees
would be worthless........Then by all means panic.

Sponsored Links
Back