Is it allowed to have a socket in an Island Plinth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - I am having a new kitchen fitted, and it has a 2.5x1m island with 180mm plinths.

At the end of the island the room extends into a dining room, and it would be really handy to have an electrical socket in the island plinth to power a laptop if someone is sitting at the dining room table which is in the center of the room (in line with the island).

I've been told that this isn't possible due to regulations - is this true? Is there any way to have discreet power at floor level without having to look at an ugly plug? E.g. can it be islolated in some way - or is it not a problem and someone is being over cautious?

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Tim

Sponsored Links
You are allowed to have sockets actually in/on the floor or in a recess with a lid if you want.

Only general rules regarding prevention of damage and tripping hazards would apply to the plinth.

Is the plinth firmly fixed? In my kitchen the plinths are clipped to the legs of the unit and can easily be removed. If you do have a socket fitted I'd suggest making sure that plinth was firmly attached. If the plinth was removable it could damage the supply cables when it moved.

Possibly your electrician is concerned about the plinth being removable, and the wiring to this socket being disturbed.

If I had to do such a thing, I would be inclined to fit a socket underneath the island, THEN plug in your new plinth socket via some some 1.5 mm2 flex.

I would ensure the flex is securely clamped to the back box of the plinth socket. I would use a floor socket complete with flap for the plinth socket.

This way the plinth can be fully removed without damaging cables.

Surely your electrician can't object to this.

Alternatively, consider a pop-up socket on the worktop.

Sponsored Links
I really appreciate all the helpful comments. As its the end of the island, I think the plinth might not be removable (but its something I can check - and at least ensure its not movable).

I think the concern cited by the kitchen company was something to do with regulations and risk of water on the floor - but it did sound a bit strange to me. As there is an electrician providing the electrics for the company then fitting the kitchen, I should be able to get this verified now that I know its not a definite no-no.

reg 553.1.6 relates to damage to socket plug or flex when inserting plug if mounted too low

reg 553.1.6

Yes I think this is the regulation the kitchen designer might be on about.

All other sockets would abide to this, however it would be really handy to have a low one for a laptop charger - so its discrete and not an eyesore on the side of the island.

Is this an absolute requirement do you think? My house is an older one, but its a redone kitchen/dining room.

If you fit the sockets such that the plug cable lies horizontal when in use then it will be easier to use. Two single sockets aligned such that they are "facing" in opposite directions would be quite neat.
Would it be easier to use if the socket was mounted just below worktop level in the side of the island? I did just this with a socket at the end of the peninsula in our kitchen.
20220315_074451.jpg

Last edited:
if the socket was mounted just below worktop level in the side of the island?

As its going to be quite a prominent island, and a bit of a center piece to the room - my wife wanted to avoid an ugly plug visible on the side of it. There isn't any counter overhang on the side (there is in the middle, where there will be a seating area, and there will be a plug under there), and the obvious place was the kickboard - where the design is such that the island will look like its floating on the plinths (so the overhand is at bottom, if that makes sense). As the plinth is 18cm, a plug suitable for a laptop charger would fit - but its a question of whether this violates any regulations. I'm not looking to plug a heater or hair dryer into it - and potentially if I presented USB-C - maybe thats not considered a plug and could be within regulations (obviously a plug is the most flexible for different laptops).

Appreciate everyone who has chipped in, as its a bit confusing what is/isn't allowed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back