Is it bad for the combi boiler to just turn the water off at the mains whilst it's running?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Silly question - but we're having a few issues with our son who seems to like to shower for around 45 minutes at a time. It's not so much the cost of this that bothers us - it's the condensation he creates in the bathroom and by extension the rest of the house.

Yes we bang on the door to ask him to stop - but for various reasons - it's not having much effect to his shower times.

Anyway - I've thought about simply turning the water off at the mains as a way to get him to understand he simply doesn't need to shower for that long. It's actually easier to do this rather than wake my younger son up shouting for the eldest to get out the shower.

If the boiler is running with hot water and I cut the water to it mid flow - is that bad for it?

Not strictly a DIY question I know...

Sponsored Links
Waterboard would not tell you if they were going to turn off the water but why can't you just turn the boiler off? A cold shower would soon make him come out.

Tell him he's got ten minutes and then you’ll be turning the gas or water off. Neither will cause any harm to the boiler. 45 minutes in a shower when someone else is paying is a pîss-take.

Sponsored Links
Silly question - but we're having a few issues with our son who seems to like to shower for around 45 minutes at a time. It's not so much the cost of this that bothers us - it's the condensation he creates in the bathroom and by extension the rest of the house.

Yes we bang on the door to ask him to stop - but for various reasons - it's not having much effect to his shower times.

Anyway - I've thought about simply turning the water off at the mains as a way to get him to understand he simply doesn't need to shower for that long. It's actually easier to do this rather than wake my younger son up shouting for the eldest to get out the shower.

If the boiler is running with hot water and I cut the water to it mid flow - is that bad for it?

Not strictly a DIY question I know...

I am not a plumber but I don't think that turning the boiler to "off" mid shower will cause any problems.

Alternatively, turn on hot water taps nearest the combi. It will deprive the shower of hot water.

Edit---- sorry, I hadn't noticed your reply.

Can you turn of the electrical supply to the combi from the consumer unit?

Unfortunately the boiler is in the bathroom!
I will tonight turn the water off and listen to him howl!

Is the boiler on a separate circuit on the consumer unit? You could turn it off from there - much easier than turning the mains water off.

You'll be better off turning the water off rather than powercycling the boiler.
Cold water off= flow will quickly drop to zero= burner will cut off, heating pump MIGHT run to shift residual heat, might not.
Power off at the mains (rather than on the front panel of the boiler) will not allow the boiler to control the shutdown.
As above, 45 minute shower is taking the mick bigstyle.

Take the son out of the home either that or has he got a girlfriend, he might be doing what young males do when no girlfriend available ;)

Desperate times call for desperate measures!
Some ideas may be pretty gross - but have a search for shower head pranks! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back