Is it OK for new concrete drove to extend into pavement? Also do I need a drain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having an imprinted concrete drive put in soon. Prep work is done, but they've cut the edge of the drive line about 3/4 foot into the asphalt (I think) pavement which I assume the council owns. They said its because when they ripped out the old concrete drive the edges of the pavement cracked/crumbled so the drive edge line needed to extend beyond that. So its straight. This means the drive edge is 3/4 into the pavement. It doesn't look good, you can see my drive extend onto the pavement as you walk down the street. I dont know if the council will have an issue?

Is it normal to have this, or should I request they back fill the pavement with matching asphalt (they haven't laid the concrete yet).

I also dont think they planned on installing a drain in the bottom. The drive is large and slopes to the street, and I read it needs a drain put in or planning permission not to. They said they've not had a problem before and have done hundreds of these of course.

The company I am using are all nice guys and have loads of fantastic reviews and been doing it for a very long time so I trust them, but just doesn't seem right to go into pavement and not have a drain. Wanted some advice whether I do request they fix the pavement and add a drain even if it adds a bit more cost for me.

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Get them to shutter the drive along the boundary/public path, and then infill the public path with tarmac. Otherwise it will look odd let alone potentially inviting the council highways inspector to pick this up on his next inspection.

Driveways need to drain into the ground, not let water drain to the public path or into any drains. That is the planning/permitted development rule. Otherwise again, you risk a council officer (planning not highways) picking this up and enforcing.

It seems that the "nice" guys are giving you the blarney for their convenience not yours

I also dont think they planned on installing a drain in the bottom. The drive is large and slopes to the street, and I read it needs a drain put in or planning permission not to. They said they've not had a problem before and have done hundreds of these of course.

You need to explain to them that they cannot just let it run off to the public path, or into the sewer. You need arrangements made for a soak-away of some sort and that is now the law. That will mean a metal grid along the low point, to accept the water, then somewhere for it to soak away to. Another way is block paving, where water can drain between the blocks.

They should be making good the Public Highway with the same material as currently used, as Woody has said, they should shutter off at the boundary, then once the concrete has gone off, make good the damage to the pavement with Macadam, (if thats whats currently there.) All surface water must be drained off on your own property.

I am assuming you mean about Three Quarters of a foot, i.e. 9", not 3 or 4 feet!

Sponsored Links
Yes three quarters of a foot.

I’ll ask them to make the pavement good and add a drain. But the drain will just go to the earth below there’s obviously no other drainage to run it off into. My old drive was concrete and there’s no water issues, although I do understand it’s a law for new drives, but just going into the earth at the bottom of the drive is the only option.

Yes three quarters of a foot.

I’ll ask them to make the pavement good and add a drain. But the drain will just go to the earth below there’s obviously no other drainage to run it off into. My old drive was concrete and there’s no water issues, although I do understand it’s a law for new drives, but just going into the earth at the bottom of the drive is the only option.

If it's genuinely a like for like replacement, then the law might be different. Check your council's website.

Many council's now use GoogleEarth to check for evidence of changes.

But the drain will just go to the earth below there’s obviously no other drainage to run it off into.
It can't just go into the ground or you risk either it not soaking in and forming a puddle, or/and the ground becoming sodden and sinking - and you don't want that at the front of the drive.

It needs to be planned and given some thought as to the best place and best method to drain the water away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back