Is it ok to box in boiler flue/pipes like this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new boiler fitted in the kitchen a few years ago, and were left with a bit of an eye sore where the pipes were redone (and minor issue with sound escaping from the kitchen into my daughters bedroom above).

I'm planning on boxing in with mdf/plywood and then painting - maybe with an additional piece of wood flat up against the ceiling to block the hole where the three pipes are (to reduce noise more). The bottom of the boxed in area will be open.

Is it ok to do this both in terms of safety (I don't want to create a fire hazard, though I suspect this is unlikely), and in terms of clearances required by boiler manufacturers (it's a Worcester Bosh CDi Compact if that makes a difference)?

p.jpeg

p.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I did a similar thing with mine......

Attachments

• IMG_20200502_192349[1].jpg
    IMG_20200502_192349[1].jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 960
Yes, it will be fine to do that. My own boiler is installed in an adapted kitchen unit wall cupboard, which matches the rest of the fitted kitchen. Just be aware of the boiler manufacturers recommendations for spacing between the cupboard walls and the boiler case, though it is more about proper access for servicing purposes.

I'd be more concerned about whether the case can be taken off the boiler for servicing. Or is the cupboard around it removable. As far as the boxing in of the flue is concerned, the sample point needs to be accessible and the joint between the turret elbow and the rest of the flue should be visible for inspection.

Sponsored Links
I'd be more concerned about whether the case can be taken off the boiler for servicing.

My boiler's case is easily removable, with the cupboard in place, but the whole cupboard can be removed with not much work. I originally had a much larger boiler in it, so plenty of room for the present one.

Read the manual for clearances/ventilation (even with modern boilers).
Leave plenty of clearance to allow for the boxing to expand with mositure (it always happens).
It MUST be easily removable for inspection of the flue/gas pipework etc.
Do not use 3 million screws etc.
I've lost count of the boxing in that I've had to butcher in order to repair boilers...
You have been warned :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back