1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to box in boiler flue/pipes like this?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by jonnyw, 2 May 2020.

1. jonnyw

jonnyw

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We had a new boiler fitted in the kitchen a few years ago, and were left with a bit of an eye sore where the pipes were redone (and minor issue with sound escaping from the kitchen into my daughters bedroom above).

I'm planning on boxing in with mdf/plywood and then painting - maybe with an additional piece of wood flat up against the ceiling to block the hole where the three pipes are (to reduce noise more). The bottom of the boxed in area will be open.

Is it ok to do this both in terms of safety (I don't want to create a fire hazard, though I suspect this is unlikely), and in terms of clearances required by boiler manufacturers (it's a Worcester Bosh CDi Compact if that makes a difference)?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sponsored Links
  3. I did a similar thing with mine......

Attached Files:

4. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, it will be fine to do that. My own boiler is installed in an adapted kitchen unit wall cupboard, which matches the rest of the fitted kitchen. Just be aware of the boiler manufacturers recommendations for spacing between the cupboard walls and the boiler case, though it is more about proper access for servicing purposes.

5. Elkato531

Elkato531

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd be more concerned about whether the case can be taken off the boiler for servicing. Or is the cupboard around it removable. As far as the boxing in of the flue is concerned, the sample point needs to be accessible and the joint between the turret elbow and the rest of the flue should be visible for inspection.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My boiler's case is easily removable, with the cupboard in place, but the whole cupboard can be removed with not much work. I originally had a much larger boiler in it, so plenty of room for the present one.

8. Elkato531

Elkato531

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not talking about your boiler. Why would I make a comment on your boiler case when you haven't posted a picture of it.

9. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just sayin !

10. Gasguru

Gasguru

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Read the manual for clearances/ventilation (even with modern boilers).
    Leave plenty of clearance to allow for the boxing to expand with mositure (it always happens).
    It MUST be easily removable for inspection of the flue/gas pipework etc.
    Do not use 3 million screws etc.
    I've lost count of the boxing in that I've had to butcher in order to repair boilers...
    You have been warned :)

• Like Like x 1
Sponsored Links